Left Kidney removed

Options
Robbie459
Robbie459 Member Posts: 1 *
edited January 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

I am 36, got 5.8cm mass on left kidney. Both mass and the left kidney was removed laparoscopically. It’s been 6 weeks since the removal. Life has changed, emotionally too. Should I be on a specific diet. Should I specifically do something. Can I lift weights and go for runs?

Comments

• Sambuca
    Sambuca Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Always check with your dr before starting an exercise program. A diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables, low salt is good. Stay hydrated lots of water. Take long walks and keep positive!

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I was 61 when I had a robotic partial. I was very active prior to the surgery, but I took getting back to weights very slowly. My surgery was mid June and I waited until late August to lift weights, then only light at first. As far as runs, during my recovery, I walked…..a lot. My goal was to go a little further each day. By the time I got back to the gym and the weights, I was at about 4 miles of walking.

In terms of diet, I wasn’t given any special instructions, but Sambuca’s comment about hydration, as well as lots of fruit and veggies, is always a good idea.

• Scottie22
    Scottie22 Member Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2023 #4
    Options

Only comment about diet from my surgeon was 'everything in moderation'. My 10th anniversary of my nephrectomy (left kidney) is coming up this year. I also keep well hydrated and walk a lot.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi Robbie, so sorry you have this but glad you found this support group. I agree with the suggestions above about diet and less salt. Walking is great until you are stronger. Hope your medical team will keep checking you with CT scans or ultrasounds.