Mask anxiety medication

Options
JohnVon
JohnVon Member Posts: 25 Member
edited January 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello. Does anyone take anything during treatment mask anxiety/claustrophobia? What do you take and what dosage? My doctor prescribed .5 mg of Ativan and it’s not effective at all. A Psychiatrist friend said the starting effective dose of Ativan is 2 mg. I really wish my doc would give me something that works. Thanks

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    edited January 2023 #2
    Options

Hello John, you are not alone many of us have to overcome the idea of wearing a mask. Wearing it is vital to the treatment so that it is absolutely accurate every time. I think the medication they are prescribing to you, Ativan is pretty much the standard issue but if it is not strong enough please talk to your doctor and let him know in no uncertain terms that you need more to get through this treatment. I think people have also taken Xanax to go through this. Usually, once you get through the first several treatments it is much easier. They will play music for you and many places that give radiation let you bring in your choice of music if you like. I always just tried to think of things far off or being somewhere else, or think of what you want to do when you get home in detail, or think of anything to concentrate on that takes your focus off of the treatment. Before I knew it it was finished each day. Think of the fact that you are being closely monitored and are safe during the treatment and are receiving life-saving treatment and many people have gone through this and you will too. Imagine you are in a safe place and have you head secured for your best interests to help you. I know the radiation techs will be glad to help you in any way they can they are the most compassionate people and have a mission to get you successfully through this treatment. Talk to them and they will support you 100%.

I cannot post search link results here as the site sees it as not allowed but put this phrase in a search and there is a bunch of sites helping with ways to cope.

"wearing the mask for radiation I need medication"

Here is a video of survivors it may help to hear from people who got through it and disliked the mask and in fact, I have not found anyone who is completely comfortable with it because it is something sort of radical introduced into our lives but then so is Cancer.

And your treatment may not be this particular type of machine but you can imagine the song while you are getting your treatments. This video always amazes me as you see the lines on the patient and his mask and the absolute precision that radiation treatment is delivered to the patient. The perfect movements of the radiation machine delivering exact doses to exact places. Below is the film makers comment partially and please read the comments below in the comments section from many people that this helped to get through this.

So being in the film biz I thought it appropriate to documents some of my experience so here is a fun little Go Pro video I made throughout my six weeks of daily radiation treatments. I am happy that the incredible staff at The University of Pennsylvania let me mount my cameras all over their machines. I am pretty sure some of these shots are a first! It almost makes it look fun and I think the song is more than appropriate, props to Imagine Dragons! Love you all!!

We have all had to go through this and agreed it is not easy but I know you will make it. I hope some of this helps in some small way to get you through this and to others going through the same thing.

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• JohnVon
    JohnVon Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Russ your video awesome and thanks for the advice. Hugs buddy

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Absolutely John I also want to tell you about prayer that is big for me. Praying to God and going over Bible verses in my mind is a great comfort and stronghold for me during radiation. And there is a song I always remember of a verse that says of God "When I can't see A way he makes a way" God will get you through this.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I took 1/2-tab of Xanax until I got used-to the mask. Got zapped in 20 places, so it took awhile and there was a swallowing issue I remedied by keeping my top teeth in an overbite position and breathing thru my mouth. Not sure why, but it solved all issues.

• steven59
    steven59 Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

My Dr prescribed .5 ativan 1 or 2 tablets a half hour b4 treatment. I take 2 at least an hour b4 treatment and bought a pair of hand grips at Dicks, that and music playing have gotten me thru. While I have faith I really don't have a clue how a higher power will 'get me thru this' but it does help when I ask for help to steady my nerves when my mind starts to focus on the mask.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Steven I am so glad this combination you came up with gets you through the treatments. I think having faith in God is the ultimate source of help. And I agree we don't understand how God works only he does fully. He is an ever-present help in times of trouble.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Wishing You the Best

• Izabean
    Izabean Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I always went through the 21st Psalm (The lord is my Shepard…) so that it put myself in a healing frame of mind. I also think if I had used a song Repeatedly then I could judge how much time was left on the table.

• DooDad
    DooDad Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

After my first radiation treatment I cried. The technician put his arm on my shoulder and said "you're a superstar and will get through this." He then told me about his grandmother's years of going through cancer treatments. He made me laugh and cry. The next day, I was much calmer but still scared and I started praying and going through the song "One Day at a Time". Prayer, distraction (song) and the kindness of the radiation technicians got me through it. I had to get a 2nd mask after I lost my hair - that was a surprise. Who knew hair could make that much difference!

Wishing you God's blessings and comfort -Peggy

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Peggy so glad you got through it. Not to worry you are not the only one who cried or broke down getting cancer treatment, this is tough going to the fiber of our being. The radiation techs are fantastic, they helped me through some tough times and especially on lady when I had a tough challenge with the mask from a swelled and infected parotid gland. They saw you had guts or they wouldn't have said you are a superstar. I never heard of anyone before getting a second mask because they say they don't want to lose time or delay treatments. I guess they got you in and made another very quickly. I hope you are doing well and cancer free.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• DooDad
    DooDad Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Thanks Russ - On the 2nd mask - when the techs couldn't get a good fit after I was bald, they sent me that same day to another Texas Oncology office and I had another mask made "top priority". I usually had my treatments in the morning, so I only missed that one day and went back the next afternoon for the missed treatment. The only other treatment that was delayed for a day was when the machine wasn't working properly. Both days were made up at the end of my scheduled time frame.

The tech that helped me so much also made jokes all the time. I often had trouble getting in the right position on the table and I would ask him if I needed to move up, etc. One day while trying to get in the right position, I asked him "where am I?". He leaned over, looked me square in the eyes and looking very serious, said with a straight face "you are in the radiation room at Texas Oncology in Rockwall". His humor made the whole process so much easier.

Russ, on another note - you are so kind and helpful in your responses to so many folks on this forum. You are a real blessing to me and others.

Have a blessed day - Peggy

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Thank you Peggy for the kind words. I am glad and thankful to God that he enables me to help others. I am so thankful that you have found something helpful and worthwhile through the forum.

Wishing You the Best

• Izabean
    Options

I remember one of the radiologists told me that the mask and what it was attached to was not attached to the table. So if I ever needed I could lift my head mask and all.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

lzabean welcome to the forum. I must say that sounds odd for them to say that. Did you ever try to lift your head up? If your head in fact was not fastened to the radiation table your radiation was not accurate and the techs would be negligent in their duty which I sincerely doubt. I think they were just kidding to ease your anxiety and give you comfort.

• Izabean
    Options

That was 15 years ago. I only heard it from one person. Perhaps she thought it would help but I wasn’t feeling claustrophobic. Interesting.