What is the process of getting diagnosed with lung cancer?

slothshelli18
slothshelli18 Member Posts: 2 *
edited January 2023 in Lung Cancer #1

I was rushed to the ER back in September for chest pain and an abnormal EKG from my primary's office. While in the ER, they did a chest CT where they found a 14 mm (1.4 cm) pulmonary nodule with some focal ground glass opacity surrounding it. It was located in my upper left lobe. At the time they said it was probably a left over infection and not to worry about it. So I didnt. Well in November I had a repeat Ct and the nodule was still there but this radiologist measured it as 12 mm (1.2) cm. This nodule also had ground glass opacity surrounding it. They also noticed I had a 5 mm nodule in the same area from quite a few years ago. So now I need a PET/CT scan. I was educated that based on size, location, and shape that the chances of the nodule being malignant are high. I am going to be 36 tomorrow, never smoked a day in my life, and am a single mom to two kids. I am so stressed out. Could someone give me piece of mind to what they think. I am not expecting a medical diagnosis, but I would like someone eles's opinion besides my own. And If it is cancerous. What is the begining process usually like. I attached a pic of my CT scan. Thank you so much. Sorry for the novel

Comments

• slothshelli18
    slothshelli18 Member Posts: 2 *

It wouldnt let me attach pics. I apologize

• Sharon5922
    Sharon5922 Member Posts: 20 Member

Ground glass opacity can mean a couple things. In general it is not indicative of cancer but indicates a past illness or injury which has healed (leaving that ground glass stuff in its place). Who knows? you could have had pneumonia in your 20s and confused it with flu and simply stayed home without any type of chest xray at the time... not everything is "smoker's disease" or "cancer." Sometimes its just evidence of past illness. I had a doctor try to scare me on that and sometimes docs will shame and blame you because they are discriminatory, esp against single women. Yes, marital status discrimination IS still a thing. I changed docs because of this. Second doc had very diff opinion than first doc and was without the nasty disposition on how, "I did this to myself."

Wierd that you have another nodule not previously mentioned, but hey, diagnositics' people doesn't always mention everything in their reports, so again, could be pre-existing injury and benign (non-cancerous) issue. That the first nodule has not increased in size is very good. Also, different report gives tiny amount smaller size. (likely same size and operator error).

Now from here, the best diagnostics is the PET/CT scan with contrast. The contrast make suspicious areas glow and that helps with the diagnostic and where to go from there. Originally, I had a small 9mm nodule that glowed but the biopsy came back negative. Well the biopsy was wrong, it subsequently turned to cancer and this was notable because a followup CT (without contrast, just to check size and scale) came back at 16 months showing the nodule had tripled in size. Anything that grows or glows is likely to be cancerous IMHO. Not sure why they suspect cancer. It might help to have the doc show you the films and explain this. A good doctor will.

My surgeon who removed the lung cancer, reviewed these images with me where the other doctors did not. So if you have a referall, ask about what is on the films and the growth of these nodules. Ask questions on why they suspect yada yada. If you do not feel comfortable with your options or are being given forced choice that makes you uncomfortable, get a second opinion. I ended up using the local college cancer center program and found an unbiased doctor there.

I am just going by my experience with testing and lung cancer. If the darn thing glows without reason then use that to remove the nodule while it is still small and likely stage zero, cause this spares more lung. (An aside - my first CT had "glowing" reviews of several things because I had recently taken the COVID vaccine which caused lymph nodes in arm pit and thyroid to light up on same side as vaccine shot - in addition to the small lung nodule). Do not take any vaccines within 2 weeks of this scheduled test for that reason.

All in all, if the nodule is not growing, then it may simply be a condition from a prior injury. In that case, the doc just keeps an eye on it to make sure the size does not change on your 3 month or 6 month or annual CT review. I've known folks who have doctors check these annually and have never shown changes.

Also, you are likely to survive early stages of cancer. You have choices and a second opinion may help alleviate your concerns. If this is stage zero, removing the nodule by "wedge resection" will keep it from advancing. (IE getting bigger, testing positive for cancer, and spreading into lymph nodes) Stage zero is better than a positive stage 1 cancer which involves removing the lobe. IDK, I think you need follow-up to confirm "growing" or "not growing" and "glowing" or "not glowing." If it's either growing or glowing then get a referral for options to address this while your nodule is small and the options are easiest.

Your kids will be fine and you will still have time. If you do not have family support, try to find a support group. Otherwise, a trusted family member or BFF can be very helpful during treatment.

• Sharon5922
    Sharon5922 Member Posts: 20 Member