survivor story

SMW
SMW Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

In 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage 3B colon cancer (sigmoid colon) at age 50. I had surgery first followed by 12 rounds of FOLFOX chemo. I have been NED since then. (I'm a woman, BTW.)

I followed the advice of my original doctor to get surgery first... A second doctor advised the opposite -- chemo first and then surgery -- but deep down I wanted that tumor cut out of me pronto so I went with surgery first.

Chemo was tough -- that first blast really shook me -- it felt like every cell in my body was screaming "no!" I wanted to stop there but my doctor convinced me it would give me the best chance for long term survival. When I went in for my 11th round of chemo, I was too weak to continue on schedule so I was forced to rest another two weeks before receiving my treatment. This delay felt like an eternity (I was ready to be done). I rested and went back for treatment and finished. That was in December, 12 years ago now.

Once treatment end, I shifted to putting myself back together, which is very difficult at first. I didn't feel confident about leaving the house since I feared making it to the bathroom in time. That gets much better, within three months I was pretty much going wherever I wanted, though I always needed to know where a handy toilet was (!). These days, I feel like I have some form of irritable bowel syndrome (some days) and I'm sensitive to all sorts of foods. I'd just say that my digestion is just not the same as it was before cancer. I'm okay with all that -- I'm alive. Best stick with lots of veggies and fruits. All that aside, eating well and exercising is key.

I am now on a schedule of 5 year colonoscopies and so far, all good there. Believe it or not, those don't scare me as much as screening for other cancers.

So that's my experience (and only my own -- as they say, each of us has a different cancer story). I write it only to give hope because I used to scour these boards for messages of hope when I was in treatment. For those of you who have just been diagnosed or are undergoing treatment now, I wish you the best. I'd say do whatever it is you need to do to get through treatment, it will end at some point. Personally, I watched a ton of movies (boring, I know) and took long walks. After that comes another challenge -- healing yourself -- and that part is all about adjusting to a new normal, plus good food, good exercise!

Comments

• BerniceOB
    BerniceOB Member Posts: 40 Member

Thank you for sharing! My husband just reached 1 year cancer free after a stage 4 diagnosis in November 2020. After chemo and radiation, he finally had surgery to remove the tumour in September, 2021. It was a long road but he’s healing well now. He also focuses a lot on exercising and nutrition.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

We traveled similar paths; year[2007], age[49], location[sigmoid], surgery then Folfox, my symptoms were light, but my NED didn't show up for several years after, due to liver mets, removed in 2 rounds of surgery. Thanks for sharing your story..............................Dave

• Kimikay
    Kimikay Member Posts: 5 Member

Thank you for sharing your story. I have the same diagnosis, had surgery and just started treatment yesterday, so yes...I am now the one sccouring the boards! I hate to think of longer term issues I might have, but I'm glad to know that is a possibility so I'm not surprised. My doctor is a bit of a Pollyanna in his explanation of chemo side effects. Not bad, I guess when you are starting out. The "cancer navigator", who was the professional who met with me, is a little more forthright on what to expect. I'm glad to hear you are getting your life back. At this point for me it seems a long time away...Kim

• SMW

best wishes to you and your husband... healing happens!

• SMW

congrats, Dave, fellow road-sharer... let's hope we both don't have any recurrences or (ugh) new cancers.

• SMW

Kim, I am sorry you're going through this and I truly feel for you. Chemo is a slog that feels long, but most people do get through... and then you will enter the real healing phase. HOLD STRONG! Do whatever it takes to make it to the other side, and then (and only then) you can begin to think about how to be a healthier person. best wishes