chemo side effects

Options
Aupair
Aupair Member Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

I had a LL lobectomy in October for adenocarcinoma which had lymph node involvement and staged at 3a. I started chemo this week and have questions about others experiences with Elimpta and cisplatin.

1. How do you know if you have thrush? I have a whitish film on my tongue but it isn't particularly painful but everything leaves a lingering unpleasant taste.
  2. How to deal with nausea and constipation? I have nausea meds that work pretty well but I end up constipated. Stool softeners make me faint so I'm struggling to find a solution. I've tried eating dried fruits, drinking more water, and mini wheats but no luck so far. My appetite is severely depressed so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• deelo
    deelo Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi There!

I was not able to have surgery so went straight to chemo and radiation at the same time. I had very similar issues and its a fine line. Fruit juices..prune and apple helped me. Also, Biotene was my best friend. There are melts you can put on your tongue and toothpaste. I used both. There are other brands that may work too but I got this at my local drugstore. Please get some good shakes to keep your protein levels up. Fairlife or the Costco Premier work. 30 grams of protein will help with your counts and energy. 2 or 3 a day right away. Also foods rich in iron...make smoothies if needed. My numbers dropped way down by my 3rd week. I was lucky to be able to continue on. I had 3 nausea meds and with a little adding and dropping I found out which one was making me consipated. I dropped it with the doc's permisison and then had a better time. Oatmeal helped me with staying "regular."

I have 3a spread to lymph nodes. This is my second time having lung cancer. Had it at 38 and was removed by surgery. I'm 66 now and doing ok so far :)..... let me know if I can answer any other questions. I wish I knew a few things sooner. There are also ginger chews that help with the nausea. I was a big fan.

• CB_survivor13
    CB_survivor13 Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Nausea--if you can do without meds, you will do better in long run-as you've found, they tend to constipate as well as other side effects. Peanut butter became my best friend. I never liked it as a kid, but I found that if I took a tablespoon with or without crackers before I went to bed that although I woke up a little queasy I could eat in the morning. Nibble throughout day. Also, as was mentioned, ginger chews, small candies to suck on, teas or candied ginger helped as well as grapes.

Constipation-I read in a cancer cookbook and it served me well, the day of surgery NO solid food but be sure to get high protein beverages. Prunes, prune juice and grapes help too. NO cheese products the first week as they bind you up.

Good luck!!!