lymph nodes negative for metastatic carcinoma but positive for leukemia after prostate surgery

Options
WCDT
WCDT Member Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

Just got word that lymph nodes positive for leukemia after prostrate removal. Waiting to hear more on next steps. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 299 Member
    Options

@WCDT , I just wanted to say WTF***-ity F.

That’s not a result I would ever expect. You should definitely get a second opinion on the pathology, it’s my one rec.

Godspeed, shipmate. Thinking of you.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I am sorry for the news.

Hopefully the type of leukemia is of low risk and treatable, if any.

I wonder why such has not been detected from the results of a previous blood test.

Best wishes

VG

• WCDT
    WCDT Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thanks

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited December 2022 #5
    Options

WCDT,

Obviously, a person can have more than one form of cancer at a time. I would demand that the specimen be retested at a different lab to confirm the diagnosis. Leukemia is a blood cancer, of which there are three primary forms: Leukemia, which is found primarily in the blood stream; lymphoma, which is found primarily in the lymphatic system, and Multiple Myeloma, which is found mostly in the bone marrow. All of these are white blood cell cancers (WBCs), and all have some tendency to, in many individuals, morph from one form to another. All involve blood stem cells, which are produced in the bone marrow. I myself have had lymphoma off-and-on since 2009, and am now active with Hodgkin's Lymphoma again, and had Stage II PCa in 2014-2015. Blood cancers and PCa are wholly unrelated cancers, and the situation with one says basically nothing about the situation with the other. Leukemia is not ordinarily found in the lymph nodes, and is usually discovered via blood chemistry and a bone marrow biopsy, [content removed by CSN Support Team]. Similarly, lymphoma is not ordinarily found in the blood per se, but lymphoma can, rarely, be 'extra-nodal,' or in an organ, outside of a node. Diagnosis of blood cancers often begins anecdotally, due to secondly symptoms, such as anemia, profound fatigue, night sweats, unexplained weight loss, and a few other conditions.

Lymphoma and leukemias are so closely related that some forms of leukemia, like CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) are sometimes classed as a leukemia, but at other times as lymphomas; basically, it is both. Leukemia is a systemic disease, which means that because it is in a circulatory system, it can potentially be anywhere, and everywhere, in the body. For this reason, it is treated almost exclusively via chemotherapy. It is also treated by a Hematologist who is also certified in medical oncology. [Content removed by CSN Support Team]

Max

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Thanks, Max for the help and detailed explanation.

I hope you are doing well in both fronts.

Best wishes