Coughing that doesn't stop

Options
gregory830
gregory830 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I finished my treatment back in July I have this cough that just doesn't stop it keeps me up all night I prop myself up sleeping or I just sleep sitting up on the couch my Dr's have prescribed hycodan, codeine, numerous magic mouth washes, guafesin syrup, I've tried a couple Over the counter cough syrup that don't have menthol in them. I feel like I'm out of options I suffer from dsyphasia so I can't have any cough drops. They say once they edema goes away the choking will stop but I have ended up in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia the doctor said it wasn't to my lungs that I was aspirating to my brain and was lucky I came in to the hospital when I did. Any advice guys

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options

Hello, Gregory. Quite frankly I have never heard of anyone on here or otherwise, that can’t get some kind of tolerable relief for coughing with either prescription or OTC remedies.

Check all the medications you are taking if any, as this could be a side effect of a medication. Check the list of possible side effects for each one and make sure causing coughing is not listed.

Have you tried OTC Mucinex which usually helps a lot of these types of symptoms?

Sometimes you just have to hang in there and bear through something till it quits but you have had this way too long it seems.

I did a search on the net and have come up with a few things to consider. In no particular order:

Here is a link to cancer.net to a page that is titled Cough which covers the subject quite well, a good

starter to look at and you may find an answer there:

https://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/physical-emotional-and-social-effects-cancer/managing-physical-side-effects/cough

Here is a link to another forum on Cancer Research UK and they are discussing constant coughing.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-chat/thread/laryngeal-cancer-radiotherapy-side-effects-coughing

People with cancer may also develop a cough related to cancer or its treatment.

Medications commonly used to treat or manage a cough include:

1. Mucus-loosening expectorants, such as guaifenesin.
    2. Cough suppressants, such as benzonatate, codeine, and dextromethorphan.
    3. Decongestants.
    4. Antihistamines.

How do you get rid of a cancer cough?

1. Prescription or over-the-counter cough suppressants.
    2. Drugs that help you clear mucus (if you have a wet cough)
    3. Bronchodilator inhaler.
    4. Nebulizer with lidocaine.
    5. Opioid medication like morphine or codeine.

The cough can be a consequence of hyposensibility of the larynx after surgery or irradiation, leading to persistent micro aspiration in the trachea.Jun 1, 2019

Can chemo cause a persistent cough?

Chronic and/or dry cough can be side effects of chemotherapy and other cancer treatments.

Coughing

Coughing, often a symptom of your disease, may be caused by cancer treatment, especially radiation to the chest.

• Medicine may be prescribed depending on the severity of your cough.
    • Stay hydrated by drinking 6–8 glasses of water per day.
    • Use a humidifier to help a dry cough.
    • Do not smoke, as smoking can worsen a cough.

Cough and chemotherapy:

https://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/cough-and-chemotherapy.aspx

I hope you can find something in all this to get some relief.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• Quiet
    Quiet Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hi, I had coughing issues after my radiation treatment. I think it was caused by post nasal drip and throat not being normal after treatment. Tried tons of different things. I did find relief using quercetin. I also found that drinking two large glasses of water upon waking up helped. Hope you find some relief.