Returning to work after a single mastectomy?

Options
rachellynn99
rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I know it's different for everyone, but how quickly did you all return to work after your mastectomy? I'm not having reconstruction. I'm 40 and otherwise healthy.

Office-type job, not strenuous, although I would need to drive to it.

When did you start to feel "better" again?

Comments

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hello. I'm 46 and had a double mastectomy. Very healthy otherwise. Office job, working from home. I took 5 weeks of Short Term Disability after mine but I was in the mood to go back to work after 4 weeks. I'm having reconstruction and have the temporary spacers put under my skin, so maybe yours would not be as painful. I would definitely recommend getting a mastectomy pillow for driving. I put it between my chest and the seat belt for about 7-8 weeks after my surgery. I can now drive fine, but it took a while. Hope this helps? I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending you warm wishes. - Anne

• rachellynn99
    rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your response. It's great to know how others responded. Of course, the doctors give you a range, but I don't know anyone personally to talk with. I did order a seatbelt pillow and a pillow for sleeping. I also ordered a drain belt... not sure how else to prepare.

• anne333
    anne333 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes you will definitely want a drain belt. Showering is a pain with the drains, and you can clip the belt around your waist and put the drain bulbs in the pockets. I would also recommend some button down pajamas with interior pockets. You can search on Amazon for "Post Mastectomy Surgery Recovery Shirt" and get a bunch of affordable options. Also button down shirts to wear to the doctor for follow ups. You can also use the drain belt to wear around your waist under your button down tops. They usually give you a loose fitting sports bra thing after surgery but sometimes helpful to have an extra one of those as well. That's about it. Good luck!

• Resort
    Resort Member Posts: 4 *
    Options

I had a mastectomy without removing anxillary node dissection. I recovered very quickly that after a week, I could walk around my house for close to 1 mile a day. But I get tired quickly and need to lay down for couple minutes. If you wfh, perhaps it’s ok to return to work in two weeks. But if you have to be in office physically, it might be tough and very fatigue.