Not yet what to do...

Options
2»

Comments

• mananao
    mananao Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hehe, you still very positive for this coming year. Well I visited an Onco. and another Uro. I perfectly know both goods and inconveniences on the net without doctors.... they all saying it is up to you eachtime and everytime. The main problem i am scared of surgery and pain (not sure about licks till it is done and my sex-drive that I will miss🙄 hehe, but my wife do not mind she said, do she?🤐), but it is fast and no need medication... Radiotherapy, the cancer can comeback or even start somewhere else, and worse taking this poison medication after treatment with so many side effects. Also, my insurance pay radiation only, not accommodation up to 2 months! I can not go home every week-end, to far away and our teen daughter need us, I can not wait 7months for the school vacations it maybe risky for me. Surgery i will have to travel to Manille to have robotic surgery, I must pay for 5 days acco. and travel, assurance pay the hospital only, maybe less expenses and shorter time ,total of 8 or 9 days. But travel will be tiring to comeback I guess. Hope everyone here is ok with this hard time to start the rusted machine.

Boa sorte neu amigo.

Alain

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options

Hi again,

As I commented in a previous post, try investigating the details of the various modalities of radiation therapy in prostate cancer. They all differ in terms of the number of days required for the administration. IMRT is the longest requiring two months of daily sections. EBRT takes only 5 days and combination treatment of Brachy + IMRT takes approximately 20 days. It all depends on your present clinical stage attributed by your doctors. Which type would be proper for your case.

Bonne chance to you too

VG

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Comparisons in surgery versus radiation by learned practitioners are a dime a dozen.

Ultimately, the choice is your and yours alone.

• mananao
    edited January 2023 #26
    Options

Hello, yes I know ,my insurance Doc. told me it is a business....

-For all the experienced here, it is better to have traditional surgery or robotic surgery?for me it is the big difference of price...

-At gleason 7 (3+4) do they remove the prostate, seminal vesicle and lymph nodes?

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,651 Member
    edited January 2023 #27
    Options

I think that you shouldn't make a decision on the treatment solo based on the cost it involves.

Deterioration of your current quality of life is in play and that will oblige you to accept the outcome. It is better to know in advance the probabilities on consequences and chose from there.

Robot assisted surgeries for PCa is now the standard at most modern facilities. In my times (2000) the famous DaVinci didn't exist. I had open surgery which requires longer stay at the hospital.

It seems that robotic prostatectomy fares worsely than open surgeries in terms of side effects (incontinence and ED) but open it is riskier in terms of blood loss and in longer periods of recovery.

The present common practice in PCa surgeries are radical prostatectomy where they disset the whole gland together with the seminal vesicles and a number of lymph nodes.

Check and choose wisely.

Best of lucks.

VG

• mananao
    Options

Hello, how are you there? well I had robot assisted radical prostatectomy in St Luke hospital Manila, Expensive surgery but well equipped hospital and experienced Uros (insurance paid it all and travel as well😉),it was a good decision, no much pain, 5 days going home.

Result of the biopsy, very good, will see in one month if my PSA is nearly 0.. incontinence, near 0 after 3 weeks if I go to the toilet often. But for now my ED is noting at all, not sure how long it will be ok, my uro said it will comeback and do not see any problem with that. Yes I am missing that. I ordered a penis pump (cheap) and try to have the blood circulation back to normal....

I highly recommend this type of surgery,why? painless and fast. Removing the stress and medication none.

-Radio therapy? 2 month of expenses and stress, cost the same.

-Open surgery, cheaper but dangerous after 65 years old, lot of medications, pain and long recovery, specially if you live far away from hospital.

I do not think robotic surgery bring you more incontinence or ED, it is much more precise than open surgery and experienced Uros say so.

20 years ago you did not have to think "it is up to you" I will never say that to anyone because it does not help-. After my experience and research, i will highly recommand robotic surgery. Take good care amigos. Alain