Round 3 of FOLFOX

lisajohnston707
lisajohnston707 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello everyone. In July I went to the emergency room with severe stomach cramps. Tests showed thickening of my transverse colon. When I finally got in for a colonoscopy on August 29th a mass was almost blocking my colon. The next day I had surgery to remove and all margins were clear. T3 with 3 of 16 nodes adenocarcinoma. My pet scan showed clear. My oncologist said that 6 months FOLFOX was recommended. I was wondering if others had these reactions and something that might help.

Round 1 was brutal the first week. This is a tired I do not know how to explain. Nausea cannot be stopped. Headache and sinuses flared up worse than ever. Eating when I could caused pain in my jaw on left side for several bites. By second week these things, except sinuses, we’re much better.

Round 2 first week brutal with sinuses nonstop. No fever. My headache and eye (only right side) constant pain. My legs from knee to ankle feels like worse sunburn ever. Stayed constant hunger and left jaw first few bites painful. Second week except sinuses were much better.

Round 3 so far my sinuses are not painful but still draining like a faucet. Sunburn back from knees to ankle. Left jaw painful first few bits. The weird tiredness is back. I am on day 2 still with the pump to be removed tomorrow.

I am so anxious and worried now to eat. Is this pain going to stay? Does either of the FOLFOX drugs cause sinus issues? I have reported these symptoms but the oncologist has not said anything about if it is expected or normal.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions that might help me.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

I had a similar diagnosis to yours. Did Capox (quit the "ox" part after one treatment). Chemo is hell. I had a series of sinus infections, treated them with 14-day courses of Augmentin. It really helped. Everyone reacts to chemo differently.

There are various nausea medications that I hope other forum members will comment on. I did not take any of them, other than a one-time sampling. Creams like Eucerin (or the cheaper Walmart generic) can help with the hands, feet and skin. OTC decongestants like guaifenesin can help with congestion (of course, many will recommend consulting with your oncologist). Sometimes some wine or other substances can provide a little relief.

From my perspective, eating is essential. Perhaps it is best to eat what you can, when you can, including things you might not otherwise consume. I ate ice cream and cheap pies from Walmart, that I otherwise never would never have consumed. Also, from my perspective, exercise helps with everything. To the degree you can, get out and walk, or do your favorite activity, it may help with the symptoms, and there are indicators it can help with your health.

You might want to hold the oncologist's feet to the fire. Make a list of your questions and concerns and persevere until you get answers. Insist the oncologist address your concerns and symptoms. If you are not happy, seek another oncologist. I switched oncologists, and it helped. Also know that you can adjust the doses of the chemo to deal with side effects--saying you are going to quit sometimes makes them much more flexible.

Surgery, then chemo, is a one-two punch that is hard to handle. Many on this forum have experienced it. And for me, 5.5 years on, most of it is forgotten and life is pretty much normal. Things can get better. I am sorry you are going through all of this.

• CarolSt
    CarolSt Member Posts: 1 Member

I am on a similar treatment regimen as you. As many have mentioned everyone seems to have individual responses to the chemo. Like you I have a great deal of fatigue. The nausea seems to be particularly bad the week of chemo then tails off the following week. Diarrhea is also a problem. Just make sure you try to eat. Your nutrition is important. I look for high protein foods. I have found that knowing what to expect now makes it somewhat easier to deal with. Your doctor can prescribe anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea medications. Try them to see what works best for your situation. I am now half way through my 12 treatments and knowing what to expect and how to deal with it helps—somewhat.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member

Oxa gives a median 3% gain. It can be brutally toxic to you.

Folic acid is something to avoid. Fiber would be a good add on for sure.

Ginger tea for nausea might help.

• ForMyGirls2
    ForMyGirls2 Member Posts: 9 Member

Hello, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I did 9 rounds of Folfox. The fatigue was terrible. I did not get nauseous but felt sickly for 1-2 days after treatment. Each treatment was different though. I found personally number 3 was the worst for whatever reason. I too had severe jaw pain with the first few bites of food. My stomach would get very upset the day after the FU would come off also. Not nauseous, just severe diarrhea that day. Hang in there, and keep your mind on the end goal, to rid yourself of the cancer. Before you know it you’ll be finish treatments and able to ring that bell. That was a wonderful feeling.

• nol
    nol Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi all. I just finished round 3 of FOLFOX + bevacinumab. They also gave me anti-nausea drug good for 5 days that i didnt had in round 1 but after complaining, they gave it to me at round 2 and it was a big help. So far the side effects has lessened. Usually 1st week am so weak but now have much strength and appetite. Still have the jaw pain and tingling at the arm. New side effects appeared at round 2 were difficulty is urinating but went away within 2 weeks and darkening of nail beds which i still have. So far it has been bearable. Am just curious on how long this will take. Am stage 4 colon cancer which metastasized to my liver. My docs decided to do chemo first then evaluate after round 4. My bowel movements are back to normal now as i had 80% blockage on the sigmoid area of my colon. Interested to know more of what is in store in the future which am hoping is brighter than before.