How long after prostate removed is cancer considered gone?

Options
rnpalarino1
rnpalarino1 Member Posts: 3 *
edited December 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

My question is how long after prostate removal is cancer considered to be gone?

Are there specific medical studies that can tell me the length of time a doctor can determine cancer is cured? For example, after 3 years of PSA tests being less than .1 is the cancer considered gone?

Thank you to all who respond.

Nick

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

I hate to tell you this, but NO; do not ever consider your cancer gone.

By now I have read of several cases where metastases became a problem that required treatment after ten years or so. An oncologist might say something like "your chances of a recurrence are low" and give you a percentage.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Not sure the answer to your question but, if you dig through threads on this site, some people have recurrence more than 10 years after surgery.

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I do not think the technology is there to tell us we can consider ourselves cured. So, we do the best we can based on what the technology is telling us. Next year I will be going into my 5th year of PSA undetectable. Do I consider myself on the door steps of being cured, no. Am I glad my PSA is undetectable, yes. At this time, I am happy with the results of my surgery and the annual PSA testing. I read an interesting book on our fight with cancer. The Emperor of All Maladies is an overview and rough timeline of the fight against cancer. Though the book was first published in 2010, cancer remains a frightening disease that doctors are still working to understand and treat.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Hi,

I had my surgery in 2014 and as above I don’t know if my cancer is gone. Just take it one PSA test at a time. But I try and live my life as if I was cured and not let it rule my life. Live and enjoy and deal with the cancer if it returns at that time.

Dave 3+4