pelvic mass on ovary CT?

Momschooling
Momschooling Member Posts: 106 Member
edited February 2023 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Has anyone had a CT scan that showed pelvic mass on ovary 9.3 cm and complex lesions, then it turned out to be a recurrence with grade 1 stage 1 a after a hysterectomy (kept ovaries)? I had a CT scan after an accident, this was found and has me confused and concerned. My oncologist is sending me for an US but didn't say if this could be a recurrence or not, ovarian cancer, a regular cyst, benign tumor etc...

Update:

I had an ultrasound, the doctors are concerned about ovarian cancer and I am going to have ovaries removed in 2 to 3 weeks by my oncologist, both have complex masses with a moderate blood flow. There's a chance it's a benign, a low grade tumor or metastatic from elsewhere, less likely from my uterine cancer but it's a small possibility. My CA 125 and CA 19 9 are elevated. I will update again after surgery.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 963 Member

Hi Momschooling , yes I had a lesion on one ovary on my US which turned out to be a cyst. No recurrence. Unfortunately your doctor cannot tell by the imaging what the lesion is made of. I hope you get an answer very soon!

• Momschooling

Thank you so much for responding. What ended up happening for you to know?

• Forherself

It was found on my initial US done before my biopsy. My gynecologist decided to do a laparoscopic biopsy of everything he saw on the US. There were lots of lesions including that one on my ovary. The lesion on my ovary was benign. One polyp had isolated serous cancer cells. Turns out that was all the cancer found. I was very lucky. But I had high grade cells, and you have low grade cells.

• Momschooling

I am having an ultrasound soon, hopefully that will reveal more about what it is and I won't need anything invasive. I will update when I know more in case anyone else experiences something similar.

• Momschooling

Update: I don't want to scare people from keeping their ovaries (for low grade stage 1a as most top cancer institutions recommend for pre menopausal women) because apparently what happened to me is extremely rare, but I did want to put this info out there in case someone is in a similar situation.

I had surgery a few weeks ago (1 year anniversary of my previous surgery) I had my huge ovaries removed (a year ago they were small and unremarkable), many pelvic biopsies and my omentem removed (open abdominal laparotomy), stayed a couple days in the hospital with amazing nurses. The most challenging part of recovery (besides abdominal pain) has been foot and leg numbing/weakness which they believe is nerve problems from surgery, praying that gets better soon. It goes away laying down, gets worse the more I do. It feels harder and easier than the hysterectomy depending on the symptom.

I have endometroid ovarian cancer grade 1 and they say it's most likely a new cancer, not recurrence since they also found endometriosis (this explains my pain). It is strongly both er and pr positive, so no hrt of any kind for me. Initially in surgery the doctor assumed stage 3b, thankful it ended up stage 2b in final pathology. Next is treatment, not sure exactly the details but my surgical oncologist wants me to do chemo (I had cancerous ovarian fragments adhered to my peritoneal pelvic area and sidewall and suspected fragments he blasted in surgery on my mesentery) and typically it would be 6, given every 3 weeks. I am really terrified of doing chemo but if that's the best choice, I need to be strong and just get it done! I am looking into cold capping for my hair and wearing cold mittens and cold socks for hands and feet. I will definitely be reading up on all the chemo advice.

• Forherself
    edited February 2023 #7

Well I am sorry to read this surgical report. I hope they determine, definitely, if it is a spread of the endometrial cancer or a new cancer. I don't remember reading that endometriosis is a risk factor for either cancer, and I have looked because I had endometriosis too. The mutations should be different if they are two primary cancers. I think it would be important to know if it is two primaries, and they can make that distinction. Your mutations will make immunotherapy an option I believe. Thankfully both the cancers are low grade. There is lots of information about the upcoming treatment. Hugs to you. There are lots of women here who can guide you.

I don't know if you have back problems, but your numbness and pain and weakness in your leg could also be caused by a pinched nerve in your spine. IF you do have back problems, a visit to your family doctor for some imaging might help.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member

Momschooling, have you had genetic testing done? There are clinical trials out there that are not chemo and shows how cancers are responding if they are dMMR and other mutations. I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this again but don't be afraid to demand some answers. Sometimes we have to be our own advocates and treatment really is changing.

Hugs dear.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member

Hi Momschooling, sorry to hear about your latest update. One additional thing I would want to do, in addition to what others before me have suggested, is to get another pathology opinion to make certain that you know exactly what you're dealing with. Your situation is fairly complicated and getting confirmation on pathology will give you a level of comfort in knowing that you're treating the right thing.

Wishing you the best as you deal with this latest development.