Treatment Delayed Due to Shingles

Options
jkkc61
jkkc61 Member Posts: 10 Member
edited December 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi all,

My mother (61) was supposed to have her radiation mask fitted Monday with treatment starting in a couple weeks for HPV 16+ oral cancer. That’s now been delayed because she has shingles.

It seems she caught it early and is on antiviral medication and a cream now for the next 10 days, which I hope clears it all up.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I’m worried now because the risk of stroke increases after shingles and radiation patients see an increase in stroke risk as well. She’ll be dealing with both back to back.

It’s pretty frustrating as of lately. Seems like one thing after another… sigh.

Just want her to get better/cured and move on with life.

-C

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Hey, -C, this is a circumstance you certainly didn't expect. I would just like to say that I was talking to one of my nurses when going through treatment about getting flu or something else and the way I said it must have been odd, but her response was "Just because you are going through cancer and treatment doesn't mean you are exempt from other illnesses". So that's where your mom's at she got one of the normal things that people can get even though she is dealing with cancer. Sorry, it happened but take heart and don't worry I bet your mom has this no problem and the fact they caught it early is another positive thing. This is certainly a little disheartening but stay as positive as possible and check with her medical team to see if there is anything extra they can do to decrease this stroke factor possibility.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ