Sharing my rough start on chemo…

Options
jm42
jm42 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello friends,

I wanted to share my experience with an allergic reaction to paclitaxol. It’s not to scare anyone, but I think it’s helpful for me to share and also helps me share with others who understand.

Chemotherapy is no joke, and really feels like it’s almost wearing me down like I’ve never felt before and it’s barely started.

I had a lumpectomy, and thankfully the cancer didn’t spread. I’ll be doing IV chemotherapy and herceptin to reduce chances of recurrence.

Last week was first trastuzumab (herceptin), which I had a small reaction to. I got shivers and they had to pause it, and give me Benadryl and a few Tylenol.

The following day was the big day of starting paclitaxol. Everything started off ok with the anti nausea meds and steroid, but once the chemo meds started I had an automatic allergic reaction. While it was excruciatingly painful, the nurses assured me each one was predictable if a reaction was to happen, and they have a response for it.

It all happened within a 1.5hr window. From full on pain, to feeling ok again and able to walk out on my own after. I remind myself of this, that I got through it. To help alleviate anxiety and fears of going back.

I read maybe 1/3 of patients may have a variety of side effects, everyone is different and unique. The most important thing is to communicate with the nurses and oncologist what’s happening in the moments. For me, it was chest tightness, lower back pain, then my face went red, and feeling dizzy and extreme nausea. This began to dissipate after they stopped the chemo and gave me some medication to counter it all. I think it was Benadryl and other allergic countering drugs. But the strong nausea stayed for almost an hour and I did throw up a few times. Plus had extreme burning pain in my lower abdomen. With that excruciating pain they gave me a small dose of hydro morphine.

After this, I was able to recover within that appointment. I had alot of low points since then emotionally. It doesn’t count as week 1, I must start over next week. 

I never knew what this was going to be like, but have respect for all the survivors and all those battling and fighting. I encourage others that if anything scary happens, to know the healthcare team is there for you. I’m saying this to also continue to reassure myself. We got this.

Comments

• tsrichter1
    tsrichter1 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I had a major reaction to Taxol with first and second dose. Back pain was unbearable so infusion was stopped. I now take steroids the day befor and before the infusion then I get IV steroids.

we found the shaking and tremors was due to IV Benadryl.

just wanted to share my experience, I have only had 2 doses out of 12.