Tumor Fevers

Options
disneyaddict83
disneyaddict83 Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi my husband has been diagnosed with Diffused Large B-Cell Lymphoma with it also in his spinal fluid as well. He is receiving 2 separate chemotherapy’s every 3 weeks. Last month my husbands WBC were extremely low along with his RBC and platelets. He did get a infection that was treated for over 2 weeks. About a week after being sent home with antibiotics my husband woke up with a fever again. I took him to the hospital where they took blood cultures and hooked him up to a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case he still had an infection somewhere. After 4 days the doctors said the fevers were due to the Lymphatic and were called tumor fevers and then they started him on his 3rd round of REPoch chemotherapy and his 2nd IT chemotherapy to his spinal fluid. We were sent home on Monday and yesterday on Thanksgiving night my husband had a fever again. He didn’t want to go back to the hospital so I gave him Tylenol and his fever came down. When we woke up this morning he had a low grade fever and it been happening all day. We blood checked on Tuesday and his blood counts are good. If these are tumor fevers should I take him to the hospital or can I wait until Monday to talk to his doctor.

Comments

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 869 Member
    Options

My doctor wanted to know any time I had a fever.

• disneyaddict83
    Options

I know his doctor wants to know but what I’m saying is should I be taking him to the ER or just wait until Monday when his doctor is in the office?

• GmaVee
    GmaVee Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I would call the emergency exchange for his doctor. That's what they are there for. I would not wait for Monday. I hope for the best outcome for him.

• GmaVee
    Options

I should have said call the "after hours" exchange, not the emergency exchange. My apologies.

• disneyaddict83
    Options

Unfortunately his doctor doesn’t have a after hours oncall doctor. I called and it was just a answering service that answered and said they would give them the message on Monday. They said if you feel it’s an emergency then go to the ER. We’ve been to the ER twice before and over the weekend all they do it take his vitals, give him Tylenol, and hook him up to a IV. He refuses to go to the ER.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear this. I have never heard of tumor fever, but there has been research done into it. Here is the article: https://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/2014/08/13/neoplastic-fever-pathophysiology-clinical-features-and-diagnostic-assessment/

"I" would call the cancer center where he is being treated, or even a different cancer center, and refrain from treating the fever until a doctor/PAC or nurse-practitioner could be consulted. If the fever is high, it would be good if he 'manned up' and went to the ER. Let them make the calls and get the answers for you.

• GmaVee
    Options

Disney - what did the doctor say when you contacted him on Monday. I hope everything is good.