Shy by nature. Reaching out.

Options
carolrichwrites
carolrichwrites Member Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I'm approaching the one-year mark (mid-December, 2021) from when I starting having symptoms of uterine cancer. My surgery was in late July (robotic hysterectomy, including all "parts"), and my radiation treatments ended a week ago, in mid-November. I'm just now starting to come to terms with what I've been through. This post marks the first time I've reached out to a group for support and to be of support to others. I'm shy by nature, but dealing with extreme emotions of all sorts has opened me up. Daily gratitude and acceptance of my vulnerabilities and strengths has brought me here. Hello!

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Welcome to the Board. As you’ve found, just because you’ve finished active treatment for your cancer doesn’t mean that you’ll automatically feel like your old self. It takes time to deal with any lingering side effects that you might still be dealing with, plus the understandable concern that the cancer might return. For now, take things easy as it may be a while before you’re physically able to do all the things you did before. Your body (and mind) has been through a lot the past year.

And in addition to this Board, check out what support services may be available through your care center. My health care system provides a lot of support services for cancer patients and survivors such as exercise classes, social work services, counseling services, nutrition classes, etc.

I took some of the exercise classes when I was going through treatment and recently signed up for one again when the instructor that led the couple of classes I liked at the Park District took some leave. Unlike when I did the classes originally in person a few years ago, the class I’m taking now is given via Zoom. And I see some of the other support services are also available via Zoom. The Zoom option, if available, may be more comfortable for you.

Please ask any questions you may have – we’re here to support you.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited November 2022 #3
    Options

Welcome, carolrichwrites. It wasn't until after I finished my treatment (chemo/radiation/chemo) that I found this chat space.

For me, it continued to be overwhelming for so many years and now I can be somewhat more calm. So it is COMPLETELY understanding to try to wrap your mind around it all. I have no doubt is has you thinking so many things.

Be assured, you are among fellow warriors and their loved ones. While the board has been quiet lately, I know they are all out there and do check in to see if someone sends up a flag or share what is going on.

Hugs dear one.

NoTime

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

NoTime’s post reminded me to write that I also didn’t find this site until I was done with treatment. I found it incredibly useful even then and continue to benefit from all the experience of other members.

• carolrichwrites
    Options

Thanks for the words of support and care! Every chapter of the journey seems to have its own unique brand of patience and learning. This post-treatment phase does feel like being released into the wild. The care I've been given has been life-altering in all the best ways, and even though I've been told that I will have lots of eyes on me from now on, I sense that this site has the potential to bridge the chasms that are sure to come--and that are here already. Thank you. Truly.

• carolrichwrites
    Options

NoTimeForCancer, Thanks for the welcoming words. I already see that communicating with women who've been through what I'm going through--and what I've gone through and am now processing--will be so healing. I'm glad that you found this site too. The wisdom you've garnered throughout your journey comes through your words. Thanks for sharing. I hope to do the same!

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 969 Member
    Options

Welcome CarolRichwrites. I'm glad you found this place. You can learn so much from reading other women's stories here. I found it so meaningful to talk to other women who had actually experienced this journey. I think it's hard for people who have not actually been told they have cancer, to understand. Here you will find many fellow warriors.

Sue

• carolrichwrites
    Options

Forherself, Thanks for the warm welcome. One day here and I've already felt so much support. I look forward to reading and exploring the site. So far, I'm quick to tears as I learn of other women's relationship to their cancer. I haven't had a day without tears in all of 2022. For gratitude, sadness, fear...the list is endless, as you know. I look forward to the companionship of warriors.

Carol

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Welcome Carol,

I am glad that you found us as we are here to help you find answers and support.

What you are feeling is 100% normal. Even here, a safe space, it is difficult to talk about what we as individuals are going through empotionally as well as physically. I cried everyday for about two years. I found that after my dx, the feelings I experienced were of being unable to grieve because I was supposed to "think positive" around others, and was not allowed to express the emotions I was feeling. It was devastating, but once I started grieving, it was easier to accept what was happening to me. I grieved my old life, my future, what I might be facing. Also your immediate family has an impact on how they feel about YOUR cancer. I was very fortunate in having a wonderful husband who just let me blubber everyday and get it all out. My adult kids were another story. One is very supportive, one really doesn't want to hear too much cancer talk, and the youngest just sticks her fingers in her ears and doesn't want to hear it. This all affected my ability to emotionally adjust to my new as a cancer patient, and my prognosis. I do not remember those early days very fondly, it was the most difficult thing I ever had to go through. No one prepares your for how difficult the emotional as well as the physical can be. You can also avail yourself of counseling if you feel the need to talk to a professional. Take advantage of all the help you can get to get yourself through these days.

Let us know how you are doing as we all have the holidays coming up which can be very stressful. We are here for you.

xxoo

Denise

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Welcome, carolrichwrites,

This board is a wonderful place to find love and support during and after treatment.

My last chemo infusion was in March 2021. I started immunotherapy 3 months later, which was very hard on my body. Dose has been adjusted and I’m good with it now. So….I’m technically “still in treatment,” but I kind of consider myself “a recovering cancer patient.” My body took a long time to get back to anything close to normal. Try to be patient. Emotionally and physically it has been no picnic. I’m very healthy otherwise, with no co-morbidities, so being basically “sick” for 2+ years has been hard to accept.

All of us understand & we’re here for you!

❤️, A

• carolrichwrites
    Options

A, Thanks for the words of support and care. I'm sorry to hear how long of a recovery you experienced. I imagine that as time passes, the hardest part for me (aside from not knowing what the future holds) will be asking for patience from my wife. Being honest with how I truly feel has always been challenging for me. I've now learned that change is part of it all. I'm trying to stay in the present and let myself enjoy the healing process. As of today, I have a lot of reasons to be hopeful.

I have found an outpouring of support on this site, and I look forward to getting to know everyone, and their journeys, much better. I also look forward to being of support!

Carol