Loss of job, insurance loss

Options
wg8071
wg8071 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

My oncologist told me today that my treatment for metastatic breast cancer is no longer working. He said we need to move from treatment to quality of life. I have insurance through my employer. I need to keep working to maintain my coverage. I'm worried about what I'm going to do when I'm no longer able to work and loose my insurance. Any information or advice from someone who has gone through this would be appreciated.

Comments

• rachellynn99
    rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited November 2022 #2
    Options

Do you have a spouse that works? Can you get on theirs? I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Can you look into Medicaid? Or the Insurance Marketplace?

• digitalcs
    digitalcs Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Please post your question in other breast cancer forums as well. Maybe you can start a fundraiser for yourself on sites like GoFundMe.

• digitalcs
    digitalcs Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2022 #4
    Options

I pray for your good health.

Be positive as I think we all have a choice and we loose nothing when we choose to be positive.

• angelas01
    angelas01 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hi, I had an experience this week in receiving a call from the financial agent of the Cancer Center stating that the hospital canceled their contract with my insurance. I am in the 8th treatment of chemo, and hearing this news brought fear, tears, and questions about what I can do. My recent insurance is ending in December but had assigned with BCBS insurance that starts in 1/2023. I need insurance NOW! So, I called an agent, which the Cancer Center had given me in the past, and asked for information. He provided a number to call the marketplace. I reacted immediately. I thank God I finally got in touch with an insurance agent who helped me to find the appropriate insurance for me. It went into effect this month. Prayer and trusting the Lord helped me. Now I am waiting for them to call back to continue treatment which should be next week. This makes me look at the hospital differently about canceling the insurance contract. I did not receive a letter but just a phone call this week. We have to advocate and reach out to fight for ourselves. This is our life, and when others do not respect us as we do, it's time to step up and respectfully let them know we are unique and worth more than just a dollar sign. Check into signing up for social security disability. Stay positive, pray up, and research your options. You Got This.