Lung Nodules Confirmed to be RCC METs

Options
scabledog
scabledog Member Posts: 17 Member
edited December 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Diagnosed with kidney cancer in October 2018. Woke up one morning with blood in urine and severe back pain. Left kidney was involved only with 6.5cm mass. Entire left kidney removed was considered stage 1, grade 1 with no lymph node involvement so confidence was high I was completely cured. Pathology was Clear Cell RCC. Fast forward 2 years and small lung nodules were observed in the December 2020 scans. Continued to observe the nodules till August 2022. At this time they were a few large enough >1cm to perform wedge biopsy in November 2022. Results from biopsy were conclusive for clear cell RCC. Just wonderful.... Anyways now waiting to see oncology to discuss next steps. At this point I have zero new symptoms.  

Any words of wisdom as to what expect in terms of a treatment plan? Up till this point I've not had any treatment beyond the full left kidney nephrectomy in 2018. Been trying to remain positive. I expected a full cure, but looks like the RCC had other plans for another run at me. Thanks in advance for any experience on what to expect on possible treatment plans...

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options

No advice, just a big virtual hug for you at the kick in the gut you've received. That really sucks, especially since you had the best possible pathology with your nephrectomy.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi sorry about this. I am kind of in the same boat waiting to hear about treatment after rcc has spread. We are here with you.

• scabledog
    Options
  • scabledog
    Options

I've read your posts and profile and I was like wow as you have been through so much... Best of luck to you for a great outcome. I'll keep an eye out for your plan of action and will post mine as well. I will likely see oncology in December at some point still waiting on the appointment since I just received the results of the biopsy on Thursday. It is weird for me.... I feel like I should be scared to death, but I'm more disappointed and surprisingly positive.

• scabledog
    Options

So I have an update... Met with oncology and they told me they would start me on Keytruda (IV) every 3 to 6 weeks and a pill called Inlyta twice a day. The decision to do the IV every 3 or 6 weeks depends on how my scans turn out this week. As of now we only know about the lung nodules. My oncologist wants a full baseline so she had me do a full bone scan and brain MRI in addition to a full lung and abdomen CT. I will find out next week if they find any more nodules and that will determine how often I will get the IV Keytruda. I'm hoping it is just contained to the lungs, but she told me not to be surprised if they show up in other places. Apparently RCC METS likes to get around.... Ugh.. Will post when I get the final assessment and plan.