Strange symptoms after APR and Prostatectomy

Options
cgsagrillo
cgsagrillo Member Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi, everyone. My husband had his robotic APR surgery on Nov 9th and has been feeling OK overall, but he has been complaining mostly of numbness and leg pain. I’m assuming the numbness is to be expected, but we’re not sure where the leg pain is coming from (he never felt them before the surgery). He has also been feeling extremely tired and stays mostly in bed, though I try to encourage him to take short walks daily. Has anyone had that too post op?

Also, we found out by looking at his files that he ended up having a prostatectomy - which had not been mentioned by the surgeon. We have a consultation tomorrow to get more details, but I found it very unfortunate since we were planned to have children in the future. :( Did anyone else have that too?

Sorry about the 2 different questions. I hope everyone has been staying healthy and safe. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I can only comment about the first issue. I think both scientific studies and personal experience support the importance of exercise as much as possible in recovering from cancer/surgery. There are likely so many multiple issues affecting both the mental and physical health of your spouse, it would be difficult to guess. Perhaps talking with him directly about it is the best approach. Sometimes small incremental steps (literally) are best. If he can walk 100 steps today, perhaps he can walk 110 tomorrow. I approached exercise as a job, post surgery, which worked for me. But everyone is different.

For me, leg pain has been the result of a pinched nerve. Perhaps there is some nerve damage. But also time-in-bed and inactivity can create or exacerbate symptoms.

Some people on the forum have found that meditation or medication have helped them get back on their feet. Hopefully they will add their input in the upcoming days.

Best of luck in dealing with these difficult issues.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Hello, I have this problem. It was because my surgeon hit a nerve. It's really important to follow up with a physiotherapist right away once you're healed enough to get help. You can use some use of the leg and it doesn't get better. Once the use is gone it's gone. I experienced this. Physical therapy will prevent it from getting worse. I've lost some use in my right leg. My doctor did a whammy on my body with this APR. Yes they keep you alive but define living when it's botched. It's been a very long, harsh 10 years for me. I'm grateful to be here on days when I'm not in severe pain, which isn't often. Recently I signed up for steroid shots, not sure why I was never offered proper pain management. I suggest going to pain management as well.