92 year old with oral squamous cell Ca

AngieG
AngieG Member Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

My 92 year old mother in law was recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in 2 areas in her mouth - R cheek and alveolar ridge close to her jaw. Her cancer has not been staged. She has had two CT scans and will have a PET scan this week. She has met with the surgeon, radiologist and oncologist. She has COPD, CAD, CKD and has recently lost weight and appears frail. She is mentally fit. I think she is considering surgery (if she's medically cleared) which would include a neck dissection and possibly a mandibulectomy and using tissue from her arm or under chin for filler.

I was wondering if anyone here that's close to her age has gone the surgery route or has a loved one that has. Can you tell me about your experience. We will be having a telehealth call with the surgeon to go over test results and discuss what treatment the cancer doctors would recommend.

Also, if you've gone the chemoradiation or just chemotherapy option, I would like to hear of your experience as well.

Thank you.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member

Angie, Welcome to the CSN H&N discussion board.

It may help you to look through the Superthread at the top of the page in our H&N area.

I don't have much to input here except to say I don't recall of having anyone near your mother's age on here. They can do amazing things with cancer treatment these days though and I am sure her team will consider all the factors including her age.

Let me just say that much of this H&N cancer treatment is challenging to say the least and brutal at the worst.

I would say mandibulectomy would fall in the category of pretty major surgery.

And if she would get chemo and radiation as a follow up that is not easy and recovery is long and difficult. And some of that would depend on the amount of chemo and radiation she may get.

I would figure the medical team she has is taking all things into account as per her age and medical conditions and is working up a plan or an alternate course of action and will be giving their recommendation soon.

Please note that some older patients choose not to get treatment but enjoy the time they have left with family to the fullest.

No matter what your age a cancer diagnosis involves difficult situations and decisions.

So please stop back when you have more details.

I am wishing your family the best.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• AngieG
    AngieG Member Posts: 2 Member

Russ,

Thank you very much for your response. It's difficult to know what to do. I'm sure (hopefully) we'll have a better idea after all the tests are completed and the doctors confer. Personally, I hope surgery is not even presented as an option. Besides the surgery itself, I don't think my mother-in-law truly understands what might be involved in the recovery. Radiation also sounded like it would be too taxing for her. I've been reading many of the posts here and I appreciate the sharing of information and how you all help and encourage each other. Wishing all of you the best on your journeys.

Angie