Questions about rise in PSA

Options
mrap110
mrap110 Member Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

I had chemo, radiation and hormone treatment for prostate cancer in 2019 and 2020. Until today my psa had been at 0.01. Today was the 6 month mark from the last time it was checked and it was at 0.24. Is the cause for alarm?

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions

Comments

• mrap110
    Options

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Hi,

If it was me I would just monitor your PSA over the next several tests to see if an upward trend is developing. Since you did not have your Prostate removed there still could be small amounts of Prostate tissue alive producing PSA.

Dave 3+4

• mrap110
    Options

Thanks

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited November 2022 #5
    Options

Other than what was listed, what other therapies are in your history?

Smart to repeat the PSA test; mistakes do happen.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options

Your treatment history of "chemo, radiation and hormone" makes me think that in 2019 you were diagnosed with an advanced case.

Chemotherapy is systemic and typically recommended for patients with wide spread of metastasis.

I wonder your PSA at the time of the diagnosis before treatment, but the increase of the PSA from 0.01 to 0.24 ng/ml in just 6 months is huge which may confirm my above judgment.

In any case, the chemo and radiation were effective as proven by the drop in the PSA to a remission level of 0.01 ng/ml.

You may still benefit from another round of chemo together with hormonal. The radiation may not be recommended if the area of treatment is the same previously treated.

The level of the PSA at 0.24 is relatively low for an advanced case. You may wait for another test in three months but you need to get the opinion of your doctor.

Can you tell us the details of the diagnosis of 2019. What was your clinical stage?

Best wishes for luck in this journey.

VGama