Darker Skin, Hair Growth, Neuropathy and Water Rention

Options
Brightness12
Brightness12 Member Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I had my last chemo on October 5, 2022. I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on when my hair might start growing back and any tips on helping it grow back sooner. I don't want to use Biotin as it breaks out my skin. My chemo nurse was saying sometimes people's hair grow back different or even a different color. I can't even imagine that concept.

My hands are darker as a result of the chemo and I can't wait for them to return to their normal color.

I have also developed Neuropathy in my feet which is uncomfortable and produces tingling in my toes. I am told this is also normal due to my chemo treatments.

I have also been slowly swelling up due to water retention. My legs and feet are super swollen and my Ocologist and chemo nurses said this also a side effect of the chemo treatments and both may last for months and sometimes the Neuropathy may not go away.

I am just nervous and scared about what side effects, if any, I might have to life with for the rest of my life.

My surgery is schedule for November 1, 2022 and then I will need 4 weeks of daily Radiation and of course I am worried about that. Sorry I didn't mean to ask so many questions. My mind is just always on the move.

Comments

• angelas01
    angelas01 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hi, Congratulations on the completion of Chemo. I am on my 7th treatment of chemo. So, I am still at the hair loss stage. I still have little strings of hair. I massage my scalp daily and condition and wash my scalp every other day.

Other patients going through Cancer shared with me to get sleeves for my hands and feet. I ordered them from Amazon. You freeze them and put them on your hands and feet for 15 minutes. This help with neuropathy, numbness, and tingling. Please google this and see if this is for you.

You Got This; We Got This. We are survivors and shall continue to fight!! the unknown Yes, it is scary but taking one day at a time, we find out our positives outweigh our negatives!!! Hope this helps!!

• ramirsa0925
    ramirsa0925 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I have had three occurrences of breast cancer - 1999 (lumpectomy right side and radiation), 2017 (lumpectomy left side and radiation), and 2020 (right mastectomy and reconstruction with chemo). My last treatment was September 2021. I am on a long-term regimen of Letrozol. It has been over a year and my hair is very thin and came back gray. It is so thin in the back that I usually wear a wig when I go out. I also developed neuropathy during chemo and still have the neuropathy in my hands and feet.

I did not feel the radiation was that bad. However, my second dose of radiation in 2017 did burn my underarm and I ended up getting medication for this that helped a lot.

You've got this and we are survivors!❤️

• TheCynthiaBrown
    TheCynthiaBrown Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Don't ever be sorry for asking questions! Do it here, and with your doctors and care team.

I did TC + AC. My hair started growing back, very minimally, during the 2nd month of AC. It has grown back in a little lighter brown, but nothing drastic. Everyone is different. My hair was naturally curly, and it seems it wants to remain curly! Your skin will return to normal. It may be hard to believe when you see it at present. The body has a tremendous ability to heal itself in many ways.

I am thankful I didn't have severe Neuropathy, but I did experience it on the TC. Taxol is a major culprit of Neuropathy. My nurses were wonderful, and shared helpful information along the way. And my Medical Oncologist was exceptional! They suggested B6 for the neuropathy, and that helped me! It also helped after surgery. I had a lumpectomy, and lymphadenectomy, which left severe numbness in my arm. I took B6 for that, as it helps with nervous system. It greatly reduced the numbness. I would also encourage you to lightly massage the areas. The Breast Cancer Physio is a tremendous help! Look her up.

• tracy24
    tracy24 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hi. What are the names of the sleeves you bought?