Anyone care to share their timeline?

Options
rachellynn99
rachellynn99 Member Posts: 15 Member
edited December 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Fairly newly diagnosed. 40 years old. I'm curious as to what everyone's timeline looked like?

Mammo Sept 19

Biopsy Sep 23

Diagnosis Sep 28

Lumpectomy October 7

Margins were not clear, lymph nodes were but my medical oncologist appears to be leaning towards chemo, radiation and either mastectomy or another (larger) lumpectomy. What order to you all go in if you had chemo, radiation and additional surgery?

Just did CT and bone scan yesterday, as well as the genetic test a few weeks back.

Will meet with doc Monday October 31st to discuss next steps.

Comments

• melitza14
    melitza14 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

39yrs old

Mammo March 2

Biopsy March 16

Diagnosis March 18

Double Mastectomy April 11

Oncologist suggestion hormonal therapy and radiation, no chemo

All my scans and genetic testing was done before surgery.

Hope all went well with your appointment.

• rachellynn99
    Options

Thank you for sharing.

The second lumpectomy did not get all the DCIS cancer. So now I'm waiting to be scheduled for a mastectomy.

I have started the Tamoxifen, and so far no side effects that I'm aware of.

• a5hl3y5ibley
    a5hl3y5ibley Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Diagnosed two weeks after turning 37.

Based on growth, I’ve likely had for years prior but screenings were not available due to age. My breast tumor was not palpable.

Official Diagnosis: Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer - HER2 negative; Estrogen Receptor Positive

Treatment: Kisqali, Arimidex & Lupron - Lupron will be stopped after ovary and fallopian tube removal as genetic testing confirmed mutation in my BRIP1 gene.

• rachellynn99
    Options

I'll be doing a single mastectomy next week without reconstruction. I may or may not do reconstruction at a later date.

• rachellynn99
    Options

How long was your recovery after your double mastectomy? For example, do you work outside the home? When could you go back? I know it's different for everyone, but I'm curious.

• melitza14
    melitza14 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I do work outside the home and decided to go back right as my radiation therapy was starting - returned on 6/23, radiation started 6/27. I did that for a couple of reasons. I was feeling amazing leading up to June so I had no medical justification to not work. PLUS I had run out of sick time so income would become tighter and I still have the full reconstruction surgery left to do. When I started to feel the effects of radiation (fatigue, aches, burns) my supervisiors were really good at lightening my load or completely relieving me of work to go home and rest so I was very fortunate in that way. If I could I would have not returned to work because then I wouldn't have to go through the uncomfortableness (even though everyone was super understanding) of saying I was not 100%. The real heavy effects happened when it was all over up until recently - lymphedema. It's not severe so hopefully early measures will help long term. I have had a lot of good days but the bad days do suck! I know a lot of cancer survivors who have gone through this and have gotten better so I hold on to that.