G tube or no G tube?

mhkapson
mhkapson Member Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello all - it has been a while since I posted. My husband is currently in treatment for squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary (found in RT lymph node). He is 3.5 weeks in (17 of 30 rads complete) and 4 of 6 chemo treatments completed. He hasn’t really been able to eat much for a week now. I can barely get him to drink one of the VHC boosts per day. His throat is so sore that he is having difficulty swallowing and, according to him, everything tastes bad. The mucus in his throat is horrendous. He gags multiple times a day, but it is definitely worse when he tries to eat (I say eat, but it is all liquid at this point). He has lost 20 lbs (7% of his starting weight) - he’s a big guy so the doctors aren’t too concerned yet. However, I know that even when he is done with treatment, the symptoms won’t just disappear and his ability to swallow won’t just come back. He is also lacking in energy, obviously, since he isn’t eating much of anything.

My questions are: (1) do we just get the G tube and get it over with or do we push through and see how much weight he will actually lose during treatment? We have 2.5 weeks left of treatment. Does anyone regret getting the G tube? (2) any recommendations of things he can try to eat? The problem with the VHC boost is that it is thick and just creates MORE mucus in his throat. He immediately gags when he tries to eat it. Is there another boost that isn’t so thick? Or, anyone have any smoothie/shake recipes that worked better than the VHC boost for those with heavy mucus? (3) anyone have any tips or tricks to deal with the mucus? We have tried musinex, ginger ale, water, humidifier at night, vapor rub on chest. What else can we do?!

I am struggling with continually trying to get him to eat. It’s a battle that I am seriously losing and it is becoming very overwhelming for me - and I assume him too.

Appreciate any tips and recommendations!

Thanks.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member

mh my opinion is don't wait. Get the feeding tube. If he can hardly swallow now it means he is getting practically no nourishment or hydration and both are extremely important when in treatment. Also, since he is about halfway through treatment he has a ways to go. Even after treatment, the effects linger for at least 2-4 weeks at least or sometimes longer. He will feel a lot better being able to just put nourishment, hydration, and meds in and won't have to think about trying to get it to go past his terribly sore throat. This is a tough treatment so make one aspect of it much easier with the feeding tube. I had the feeding tube during my treatment and never regret it at all. In fact, they wouldn't start treatment till I got one. I couldn't swallow anything for several months. It will be your friend and lifesaver. So this is obviously your choice and is between you and your care team but I give a thumbs up for the G-tube. The nice thing is when you don't need it they just pull it out so it's an easy removal.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member

MH,

I second what Russ posted. I really did not have the option on the PEG Tube, I had part of my tongue removed so eating orally was out of the question for seven weeks. Once I passed the sipping water test, I was allowed to eat soft foods. The PEG Tube was my source of nutrition and hydration. Crushed my meds and put them thru the PEG Tube as well. I was to take in roughly 8 cans of nutrition a day. I would struggle at times to get 7 in me. Once I could prove I was able to maintain my weight for a month, the PEG Tube was removed.

What ever your husband's weight is currently and in order to maintain that weight, multiply that by 12 and that is the number of calories he needs to take in daily to keep that weight. If he wishes to lose weight, take in 500 less calories per day, to gain weight, take in 500 calories more than needed.

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member

MH,

I'm in agreement with Russ and Marine. Despite the fact that I got (but never used) my G-tube, it is better to get it early, than to wait until his weight drops too much.

Of course, if he can ingest any foods by mouth (even liquids - like smoothies) it will help keep his esophagus functioning properly.

I'm sorry to hear that he's going through this ... but you WILL get past this, and look back on it, someday!

MG