Overwhelmed

Options
lilles
lilles Member Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I went through cancer treatment during Covid lockdown, so I had to go through all treatments, surgery. appointments alone. So I’ve never experienced being with others in the same situation. Today, for the first time, I went to a BC “walk”. When I drove up and saw the sea of pink shirts, I was so overwhelmed I couldn’t stop crying. It was the only time I’ve ever cried about the diagnosis- and I just couldn’t stop. Every time I thought I had it together, I’d start again. I couldn’t even join the walk (I had already made the donation so nothing was lost) I had to go back to my car and drive around for about an hour before I could regain my composure and go home.

I felt and feel so stupid to have reacted that way. Was that a normal reaction? Has anyone else ever had that kind of overwhelming response to cancer survivor/supporter gatherings?

Comments

• Sadie2022
    Sadie2022 Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Never be afraid of your emotions.

Maybe that was just what you needed to release everything you have held inside while battling cancer alone.

• thelazyaranch4
    thelazyaranch4 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Lilles,

I want you to know you are not alone!

My husband and I were driving away from picking up groceries. We got to the intersection and a huge convoy of motorcycles with everyone wearing pink went by. I couldn’t help but burst into tears! I used to just watch them when I saw them but this year….it’s different… they ride for me now, they ride for all of us sisters!!!!! I cried the whole drive home that day. I think it just kinda hit me that this is really real.

I wish you all the best!!

XOXO

• ozzy64
    ozzy64 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I went through my diagnosis and treatment during Covid as well..Even I know I had such strong support from family and friends, I still felt so alone. Now, with it being Breast Cancer awareness month, I see and hear Breast Cancer survivors and stories, and while it is so fantastic to see so many survivors and hear their stories, for some reason I still feel sad..And scared and sometimes even alone although I am surrounded by so much love. I do not understand yet why I feel this way and I even feel guilty feeling sad, when there is so much to be happy about. I don’t even know how to explain my feelings, especially to my family and friends, so I just don’t.. Does anyone ever feel like this ?

• lilles
    lilles Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

It is completely how I feel