3 weeks post robotic surgery

Options
bimisk
bimisk Member Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi everyone

I have just had my surgery for partial removal of 3 cm mass in my left kidney. No family history, 35 years old, healthy individual. Diagnosis came as a shock as it was an incidental finding.

Path report came back as clear cell, stage 1, grade 1. Doc said its curative. Like to check for such prognosis what are the chances of it being cured and recurrence?

Recovery has been ok but the mental and emotional have been tough. Feeling upset that I couldnt look after my baby for few weeks. Doc said no carrying of heavy stuff for 6 weeks but from what im reading here, it might take longer to be safe. Any idea how long should i give it?

Also, like to find out if its normal to have a small lump near incision site under the skin? Doc said its just scar tissue/hematoma which will go away on its own.

Sorry if this get lengthy. I feel like nobody understands what im going thru except here.

Comments

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Hi bimisk. Other than size (mine was 1.7 cm at removal) and type (mine was chromophobe), we had very similar journeys. Mine was an incidental finding as well. I had a right partial through robotic surgery. The doctors told me it was curative. That was in 2016. The follow-up consisted of six month scans/chest X-rays for the first year, followed by annual scans/X-rays for the next three years, though I did ask and get permission for a scan/X-ray in the fifth year. All have been negative. In terms of recovery, I took mine slow. I walked, trying to increase endurance each day. I went back to the gym in two months for cardio, but waited another month for weights.

Regarding the small lump, I had that and it went away on its own.

• bimisk
    Options

Thanks Bay for replying! it gives me alot of assurance and hope that i shouldnt be worrying so much. The mental part is really the hardest :(

Do you remember how long it takes for the lump to go away? Did doc mention what is it? Did you have any pulling sensation while walking? My doc mentioned that its probably hematoma and will go away in 4 weeks but im still having it at 3 weeks and it doesnt seem to go down so im worried.

As for diet, did you make any changes? I have been eating healthy so im not sure what else to change. My doc said just eat as per normal.

Hope to hear from you soon!

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I’m stage 3 and had a partial neph mine was 4 cm and have been doing great worried at first but that slowly goes away just had three month scans now I have six month scans was all clear today I didn’t change what I ate just ate less

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options

The only change to diet, and this was only wire a while, I had previously liked a glass of red wine once in a while. I stopped that while I was recovering. I had a few pulling sensations where the various incisions were, but they went away. I did have a feeling of numbness in my right hip (the side I was operated on). At my first post-op appointment about three weeks after the operation, I asked the surgeon why he hit me in the hip with a baseball bat. (As an aside, I’ve yet to meet a surgeon with a sense of humor, and this guy was no exception. LOL). He had no explanation for it. It went away after about a year.

As for the lump, honestly I can’t remember when they went away.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi bimisk, sorry you have to go through this. My situation was different, I had an open full nephrectomy. But, I do have a little lump at one end of my incision that us still there not painful or hard just weird healing I think. I'd try to follow your doctor's instructions take things slow. Glad you found this site, there are so many lovely people on here that understand and care💕

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I have a robotic radical nephrectomy. I was fine lifting after the six weeks without any issues so I wouldn't worry too much about that, just be careful not to overdo it. I had pain for over a year after (felt like nerves sometimes and pulled muscle sometimes). They told me it's internal scar tissues and may never go away...but it hasn't been bothering me since. If you are really worried, ask your doctor but I think everything you are dealing with is normal after this type of surgery.

• suep16
    suep16 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

hi, i am just about 3 weeks post robotic surgery to remove my left kidney. tumor was contained within the kidney. i also have the lump you mentioned, by the incision where the kidney was removed. it is close to 2" long and hard as a rock. So thanks you for mentioning it, i was scared they left a drain tube in there.

I am also having a dilemma about medications. for years i have been taking metformin for a pre-diabetic condition. My kidney doctor suggests to stop taking it, but my primary doctor (new to me) has nothing to suggest except to keep taking metformin. Anyone else had this experience?

• bimisk
    Options

yes it as hard as a rock under the skin. My lump is located in the incision wound where they put the camera. Did your doc mention what is the lump and how long it takes to go away?

How has your recovery been like? I still have pain and soreness near the wounds and pulling sensation on the lump. Hope you are feeling stronger as the day goes!

• suep16
    Options

hi, i have not seen the doctor yet, appt is 11/03. i did have a nurse pull out my staples and remove the catheter just over a week ago. since that was done i am feeling much better. i am not having any pain, just discomfort off and on. if i do to much during the day i have more discomfort at night. i am not experiencing any pulling anywhere but maybe its because i have a lot of belly fat as a cushion. i experienced dizziness for 3-4 days after being released from hospital but that is gone now. all in all i am doing better than i imagined at this point.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I take metformin and neither my urologist nor my nephrologist has said a thing about it being contraindicated. My full left nephrectomy was four years ago.

• suep16
    Options

AliceB1950 - thank you so much for sharing your experience. it helps me alot to know this. i am alone and trying to work my way thru this so everyones input is appreciated. 🙂

• suep16
    Options

thanks for mentioning the pain for a year issue. it is almost 2 months since my surgery. i feel fine but do experience unusual pain/pulled muscle issues and was worried something was wrong. so now i will relax and not worry. one thing that has helped me has been the elastic body band they gave me in the hospital. i wear that now during the day and it helps lessen the discomfort issues.