bilateral neck dissection

Options
mluparello
mluparello Member Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I had the neck dissection about 5 weeks ago along with removal of tumor on soft palette and reconstruction. I have severe tightness in my neck and it feels like I am being choked. Is this part of the normal healing process and what can I do if anything since it is actually giving me anxiety episodes.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options

Hello, mluparello and welcome to the forum.

My recommendation would be to contact your care team and ask them if this is part of the normal recovery process and how long it will last. I think tightness in your neck is normal for this because of the surgery and you may eventually need physical therapy. Also, tightness may be due to lymph fluid buildup is the area puffed up at all? As far as a choking feeling I am thinking you have some swelling going on either from the operation or fluid buildup. I am just guessing at this trying to give you some input on possibilities. I think if you feel like you are choking it will easily give you anxiety episodes.

If I were you I would contact your care team right away as soon as you can and let them know what is going on and get their input. They will probably want you to come into their office to check you out. Also if you are really choking go to the emergency room or call 911.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I concur with Russ. Contact your team immediately as it is part of the care they provide. I was fortunate that my team checked in with me and my wife (I asked them too) because I know I can be stubborn. Almost every single time I contacted them I was told it was "normal" but it helped set my mind at ease.

I think pretty much all of the hospital systems use a "My Chart" type portal. I sent messages quite often and would get replies within 24 hours each time.

• mluparello
    Options

Thank you both for your input. I contacted my care team and they said it was normal. They told me to massage the area a couple times a day and that would help. I also have a speech and swallow therapist coming this week. I spoke with her and she said there are neck exercises I can do to loosen up the tightness.

I'll post how it goes

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Nearly 5 years after my surgery for BOT cancer (including a modified radical dissection, they unzipped me ear-to-ear, and I still have occasional tightness. Early on - for the first year or two - it was tight every day, and I usually had actual pain/significant discomfort in the neck continuously. That's eased significantly over the past year, though it pops up every now and then.

You should definitely turn to your care team for help with all this... then again, my ENT is fond of telling me, every time I go to her with another complaint in this area, that "you are not like everyone else" when it comes to the physiology of my neck. And that's true - "normal" people will never have the neck aches and pains you do!

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    Options

The phrase "new normal" was stated to me about 100 times from the time my treatment decision was made through the 1st year post surgery/chemo/rad. I have stiffness in my neck on the side of my dissection surgery. Some days I don't notice it all and other days I find myself massaging my neck. I am so fortunate thus far that my new normal isn't far off of my pre treatment normal, but even I get slightly frustrated to this day.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Remington, you are Truly Blessed.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options

You have to massage it. Keep the muscles moving

Do the exercises, look left over your shoulder, and right over your shoulder, as far as you can

If offered a compression item for the lymphadema in your neck say YES!

• steven59
    steven59 Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I had my surgery 10/10 and at 2 weeks when asked my pain level I said it feels like i'm being strangled by a 7 year old so your post caught my eye. The feeling has decreased to...lets say strangled by a 4 or 5 year old. I've been doing the speech path and lymphedema neck exercises for a couple weeks now and really can't say if it's helping or not yet. Still numb from my right jawline across my neck to directly below my left ear i've regained feeling to a 1/2 inck below the tip of my chin. I got fit for the radiation mask last week and although my adams apple is still numb to the touch the pressure from the mask brought the sensation of being choked again in force.

SuzJ if you could share a link showing where to massage it would be appreciated. tky Steve

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Steve, please contact your radiation team about the mask now before you begin treatment and let them know about the choking sensation you are getting. See if they can alter the mask in some way to relieve that because the radiation may cause some swelling of its own and you don't want it to interrupt your radiation treatments. Once you start it is very important to do all of them and finish without interruption. If necessary they may have to make a new mask to allow for your situation.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• mluparello
    Options

Good Morning Steven

Here is a link to a website that walk you through some of the massages. I have been massaging with moist heat and that seems to loosen thing up the best but not for long periods of time. I am praying it will eventually not tighten up again. Here is the website Six Massage Techniques to Remove Scar Tissue | Massage Professionals Update (integrativehealthcare.org). Hope it helps

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options

I had neck surgery, to remove a tumor - over 3 years ago - and part of the left side of my neck still feels like the skin was removed, and a piece of horsehide was sewn in it's place. I guess the good news, is that I no longer notice it - unless I think about it!...

My suspicion is that stretching exercises will help ... and that in the end, you'll get used to it ... and forget about it.

I hope you're feeling better!

• steven59
    steven59 Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Thank you, I did get an appt with a pt for lymphedema and have the stretches that i've gotten pretty consistent about doing. radiation hasn't started yet so she may show me more as needed.