Suggestive for a Transitional Cell Carcinoma R Renal Pelvis

fallonboy
fallonboy Member Posts: 46 Member
edited November 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

New guy here. Glad I found this board.

A recent MRI says "The right renal pelvis is prominent and contains a soft tissue signal intensity filling defect measuring 3.2 x 3.0 x 2.9 cm, which is intermediate signal intensity on T1 and demonstrates heterogeneous enhancement on all phases. Accompanying abnormal diffusion hyperintensity of this heterogeneous signal solid mass."

Several urine cytology tests have been neg.

A scope and biopsy is scheduled later this month. Also a kidney scan is scheduled to evaluate my left kidney should I lose my right one.

My urolo says it is probable I will have my kidney removed. I'd like to keep the kidney if possible of course.

I am hoping I will not have to do radiation and chemo.

I'll know more I suppose after the biopsy.

All info / suggestions welcome

Comments

• fallonboy

Question : if the tumor is benign will the kidney have to be removed?

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

If it's benign, you and your doctor would probably determine if monitoring would be feasible, or if it should come out anyway. It's not huge. Based just on size, if it's cancer, it's stage 1, which goes up to 7 cm. IF it's certain kinds of invasive, like into renal fat or vein, it could be stage 3. Stages 1 and 2 are based on size, 3 on invasiveness, and 4 on spread to other organs. If it's a higher stage, most treatments are immunotherapy, not chemo or radiation, but I think I've seen exceptions for certain subtypes. Good luck!

• fallonboy

Thank you AliceB1950. I read your profile and am reading your other posts. I wish I could sit under a hair dryer looking device and put all of your cancer knowledge into my 77 year old brain.

I live in central Florida where we are dealing with Corona and now Hurricane Ian.

The kidney scan and biopsy is later is month I'll know more then.

My urol doctor is local but any oncology or other is a 140 mile round trip.

I had prostate removed due to cancer and the cancer returned so I got radiation treatments. I now have radiation cystitis with bleeding . Plus my blood labs are low due to the radiation. Point is - I have other health issues like a lot of members here.

Thanks again

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    edited October 2022 #5

Hi fallonboy sorry you're going through this. I also hope you can keep your kidney. If you do have it removed, you have lots of friends here who are living with one kidney! Most renal clear cell kidney cancer - the most common type -are not treated with chemo and radiation though there are always exceptions. I'm not sure if that is what you have? All the best to you, please keep us updated!

• fallonboy

deanie , many thanks.

this morning I did my nuclear kidney scan. The doctor said it would be helpful if I lose my right kidney to know how well my left kidney is doing.

here are the results in part.

Impression: 

1. Left kidney: Normal nuclear renogram. This kidney provides 56% of patient's overall renal function

2. Right kidney: Normal nuclear renogram. This kidney provides 44% of patient's overall renal function.

• fallonboy

Hello

I had my biopsy last week and today I picked up a copy of the "Surgical Pathology"

"Final Diagnosis - Right Renal Pelvic Papillary urothelial neoplasm"

No mention if it is benign or cancer. Bummer!

I see my urolo dr soon . I wonder what he will say.

It is my understanding benign can go either way.

Your comments please and Thanks

• Biner
    Biner Member Posts: 136 Member

Unfortunately, Renal Pelvic Papillary urothelial neoplasm means cancer. But tumor is small and consider 1 stagehand good chances forgot about cancer after surgery or ablation

• fallonboy

I am going to the urologist this morning with my list of questions. Be back later.

• fallonboy

I went to my urol this am. He said it is cancer. I forgot to ask him how aggressive .

Next stop is a urol in Celebration Fl that does the treatments which MAY include the removal of the kidney by robotic surgery. No date yet.

I wonder if chemo comes along with the deal.

We'll know more later.

• Deanie0916

I'm sorry you have to deal with another cancer. Fortunately it's small. If it is RCC renal clear cell carcinoma, usually no chemo is used to treat. Hope that's the case for you!

• fallonboy

The pathologist says papillary urothelial neoplasm of the right renal pelvis

The urologist says Transitional cell carcinoma of right renal pelvis

QUESTION- is this the same thing?

Waiting on the urological group that will do the treatment. I hope they called today.

• fallonboy

This is the recent MRI

• fallonboy

Yesterday I had a TeleMed appointment with the head of the urological department at the big hospital in Celebration Florida (Orlando.)

I have a transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in the right renal pelvis. The kidney and the tube leading to the bladder will be removed. Maybe in December. After that they will be routine follow ups looking for bladder cancer, and how well the left kidney is doing. 

I’ll spend the day trying to get a clearance from the heart doctor. All of the doctors offices are super busy right now. And here comes the snowbirds.

All of this will be done with Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield plan F.

• Deanie0916

Fallonboy hope your surgery is smooth and recovery quick. Keep us updated.

• fallonboy

Thank you. My surgery will be next week. The hospital is two hours away. Question, will I be able to drive home after I am released?

Take care

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member

No, you will need to have someone drive you. Anaesthesia alone will make it unsafe to drive. Are you staying overnight?

• fallonboy
  • tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member

Either way, I don't feel like they will allow you to drive. I stayed overnight and was not permitted to drive for a few weeks....and I was not in any condition to drive the day after surgery. So I would suggest that you arrange a ride.

• fallonboy

Thank you. I think the wife and I will make the 2 hour trip to the hospital by car. The wife is arranging for family members to get the car and us back home. My wife broke her wrist/arm 2 weeks ago and she can not drive. Yes, we'll plan on me not driving for an extended period. Thanks again.

• fallonboy

I asked my urol dr if I needed an oncologist. He said “ Let’s see what the pathology says.”.

Question: Do my csn friends think I should have an oncologist on my team?