Port Issues

Options
mjseals79
mjseals79 Member Posts: 1 *
edited October 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that has not spread to lymph nodes but has local spread within the same breast. I recently had my port placed and it has just been a few days. I'm hoping it starts to feel better soon. My issue is that I seem to be able to feel it if i take a deep breath and it causes me to cough. Did anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just from being so new at this point and that feeling will go away eventually?

Comments

• RPStumpf
    RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I would reach out to your oncologist and ask about this. I didn’t have the same experience with my port.

However, it was uncomfortable for weeks; I guess I just needed to get used to it. It felt like a foreign object was in my body (which it is!), was painful if a seatbelt touched it for example.

It’s been a few months now, and I hardly ever notice it. It has been awesome for getting treatments; super simple hookup to the meds. I pray the discomfort you are feeling is nothing significant, but I would ask asap to put your mind at rest OR to get things adjusted if needed.

• tracy24
    tracy24 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

It’s been a week since I had my port placed. The first day was the worse but not horrible. I’m now able to lift my arms fully above my head, sleep on my side, etc. It still is a little bruised on the outside and is a little sore if I stretch that area and feels like I know it’s in there. I put an ice pack on it at night (20 mins on, 20 mins off) seems to help. If it doesn’t get better by the week mark j would reach out to your doctor. If it gets red, you get a fever, has an odor, definitely call.