Choosing not to do Hormone Therapy after Lumpectomy

Options
Renogirl
Renogirl Member Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Two months ago I had a lumpectomy to remove Grade 1, Stage 1 Estrogen Progesterone positive mucinous cancer. My oncologist wants me to take Aromatose as I am 74.

This drug is known to cause bone loss. I am .1 point away from osteoporosis. A Mammoprint test was done and the outcome shows a possible 98% non recurrence with therapy and 92% non recurrence with no treatment. 2nd and 3rd opinion oncologists say to take the drug and also take Prolia shot. The side effects of this shot could be worse than the cancer treatment.

I have chosen not to do either. At 74 I am looking at quality of life. I hope I am making the right decision in the long run. I took HRT for 45 years after a total hysterectomy. I really feel that this contributed to my cancer but who knows. I have stopped the HRT and am now going through hot flashes. I can deal with that.

I have not found a site that gives percentages of Stage 1, Grade 1 cancer for those that chose not to do hormone therapy. If anyone could direct me I would appreciate it.

By the way, doctors agreed I was not a candidate for chemo or radiation.

Comments

• Ginnybug
    Ginnybug Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello Renogirl,

I also had stage 1 breast cancer. That was two years ago. I also had genomic testing and my risk of recurrence is 5%, risk of non recurrence is 95%. I had a lumpectomy and radiation.

When you say, "My oncologist wants me to take Aromatose as I am 74." I think your oncologist was saying she wants you on an aromatase inhibitor. My oncologist put me on an aromatase inhibitor called anastrazole. I was on it for about two months. I decided to stop taking it because I could not handle the side effects. Nausea every morning and barely able to walk around. It was no quality of life. I told both my surgeon and my oncologist. Neither were surprised about the side effects.

I have hunted for info on anastrazole's effectiveness and the articles I find on anastrazole are based on a study named IBIS-II. These women were at increased risk for breast cancer. After 5 years, 2% of the women in the anastrazole group and 4% in the placebo group developed breast cancer. The rate of death was about the same for those who took anastrazole (18 deaths) and those who took the placebo (17 deaths). Yes, more died in the anastrazole group. I wish they told the cause of the deaths but that wasn't included.

I truly believe I am not increasing my risk of death by not taking an aromatase inhibitor. I know I am increasing my enjoyment of life by not taking it. I will be vigilant in getting mammograms.