New to this

Options
laboo873
laboo873 Member Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hello my name is Larry I was diagnosed, with kidney cancer wich I'm scheduled for my biopsy in one week to see wht stage but I'm also scheduled for a removal of the kidney . I just need more on this journey I'm about to travel

Comments

• laboo873
    Options

I have soooo[any questions. Will I loose weight and how long is recovery. As well as teams or organizations that help cancer survivors

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Are you having a full nephrectomy or a partial? Open or laparoscopic? It's hard to give answers without that kind of information. What kind of help are you seeking after surgery?

Using my personal history as just one example, my tumor was 7 cm, roughly the size and shape of an egg. I had a full nephrectomy, done laparoscopically. I was in the hospital for one night, then went home. It hurt for about three or four days, but improved each da. After that I was just sore, not in pain. The main thing is to walk as much as possible and drink lots of water. My cancer was stage 1, barely, since 7 cm is the cut-off between stage 1 and 2. The grade was 4, because it had elements that could have become pretty nasty. But the surgery had clean margins, so that's all out of me and I've been fine in the four years since surgery. Except for the scheduled follow-up scans, I don't have any additional care or support. I guess there are organizations but I've never felt the need for it.

I had lost weight the year of my surgery, but I had other health issues at the same time, so I don't know what effect the kidney cancer had on it.

Good luck to you!

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Hi I agree we need more information I’m stage 3 grade 3 I’ve been clear two and a half years I had a open partial I was in hospital 4 days came home was sore but got around the next week I went back to my office job did I lose weight no but it’s not uncommon

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi Larry welcome to the club no one wants to join. We are here for you many people with many different experiences. You might lose some weight after surgery but probably not a drastic loss. Your medical place will most likely have some info about support groups. Keep us updated when you find out more specifics.

• laboo873
    Options

Thanks for the information. My head is all over the place I'm just trying to get as much info I can before the surgery far as do I need crunches and bed rest . I read hospital stay is like week then if everything ok 2weeks of home bound. I have aflac on my job and inc. Long term short term

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options

No, you won't be on bed rest unless there are some special circumstances. Get your rest, but the best things are walking and hydration. You won't need crutches or any walking aid unless you need it otherwise - I have a rotten knee and other arthritis so I use a walking stick or cane when I'm out walking, but it had nothing to do with my nephrectomy. My hospital stay was one night after a total nephrectomy. I think it might be longer for a partial, which is a more complex surgery. A week would be if something went wrong like developing an infection.

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Hi Larry

I'm sorry you are going through this but you will get through this! I am curious where you are located? I also was only one night in the hospital for a radical nephrectomy. But I have read in other forums of people that are in for a week, mostly outside of the US. Are they doing the biopsy prior to removal of the kidney?

Good luck and stay strong! We are all praying for you!

• laboo873
    Options

Hello thnks but the biopsy is for the kidney removal.

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Are they doing a biopsy on the kidney or something else?