Very high oncotype score and have surgery coming up and I don't know what to do!

Options
sarahsueanne
sarahsueanne Member Posts: 1 *
edited September 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello everyone I'm new here, and I need some guidance please. I have been diagnosis with Invasive ductal carcinoma stage 2- lymph node positive. I have been to 2 different doctors and both of them are telling me different things. The first doctor told me she was going to treat me LIKE I had triple negative because my HR% was low score was 20%. So she recommended I have double mastectomy. My genetics test came back negative, but she said since I'm so young (35) and having double mastectomy reduces some of the chances of recurrence. Now here is my oncotype score- 80. Yes, it's extremely high. So this where the 2nd doctor comes In play I had to change insurance and doctors...... so now this doctor says totally different stuff. I told her the last doctor was going to treat me like I had triple negative, and she recommended double mastectomy. Current doctor now said absolutely not.... I don't have triple negative my hr is 20%, if it was under 10% then it could be treated like triple negative and she wants to do lumpectomy and remove the few lymph nodes that are positive. She also said having a double mastectomy DOESNT reduce chances of recurrence. I don't know what to do. I have been googling for days and it only seems to make thing worse for me. Like I said I only have 5 more weeks till surgery and I have to make a decision quickly. I don't think I have time to get a 3rd opinion. Has anyone ever had such a high oncotype score? I read things on the internet and it makes me feel depressed.

Please help and if I left out any information let me know and I'll post it..

Thank yall

Comments

• pennycount
    pennycount Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hi,

Did you meet with Dr. Surgeon or Oncologist? When I first diagnosis back April, my surgeon wants to do surgery first, but did refer me to oncologist and radiation doctor at meantime. After meet with both, now I am on chemo first, base on my oncologist recommendation, always listen to oncologist.

Christine