Dry gagging feeling unwell

Options
Sootey12345
Sootey12345 Member Posts: 2 *
edited September 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Really hope someone can help my dad had an esophagectomy about five years ago over the last year he has had this dry gagging and becomes quite unwell he is usually like it for a few days. His scan shows nothing but this happens randomly any time and seems to be getting worse really hope someone has done ideals.

best regards Ali x

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

Hi Sootey,

It really sounds like your Dad is having episodes of gastritis or esophageal reflux. Does this occur particularly in the morning when his digestive system is empty? Some recommendations to ease this set of symptoms include:

1. Stay hydrated drink water slowly
    2. Eat plain carbohydrates, like saltine crackers, toast, or rice
    3. Drink herbal tea like ginger or lemon tea

It might be worth a discussion with your gastroenterologist. I often have nausea in the morning since my esophagectomy and I find getting something mild into my stomach helps.

I would also note that this cancer forum does not get much traffic lately. You might try posting on the Smart Patients site at https://www.smartpatients.com/ and you will get much more immediate feedback to your questions.

Best Regards,

Paul

• Sootey12345
    Sootey12345 Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply it can happen anytime of the day the episode now started about 5 pm, dad occasionally has a small fried breakfast also on the day it started he did have a build up drink with milk so he’s going to stop the breakfast and see what happens really appreciate the advice, when this starts the first symptoms is the dry gagging do you know why the dry gagging may start? then he feels rough for days. I do hope you are getting on ok many thanks Ali xx