Minimally prominent lymph nodes a few months ago- now more enlarged?

Options
Ponkblossom
Ponkblossom Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi everyone. I posted here back in April with some questions about my lymph nodes. I had a small visible lump under my right side of my chin at the end of last year that my doctor had an ultrasound done on, and all that came back from it was I had two minimally prominent lymph nodes and they would just watch for changes and refer to an ENT if that were to happen

That lump is still there almost a year later (I can’t definitely tell if it’s changed size) and I have now noticed a new lump on the back left side of my neck. I first felt it (it’s about the size of the pad of my index finger) and I could feel also a smaller lump directly below it. I looked in the mirror and saw that this new larger lump is also visible in my neck and looks like a small ball under my skin. It feels more solid than the one in my chin, but it’s not as hard as a rock, more rubbery feeling, and it doesn’t feel very movable. The muscle that is alongside the lumps in my neck is also sore to touch, but the lumps do not hurt.

I also had new slight swelling in my right armpit (I’m unable to feel any lumps in the swelling). I had an ultrasound and mammogram done earlier this year due to that and thinking I felt a lump in my breast (nothing of concern was found) but I am unsure if they did an ultrasound of the swollen area.

I don’t meet back with my doctor until next January. Would you say this would warrant a call to make an earlier appointment? I don’t want to make a big deal if it’s not one and I’m honestly tired of making appointments for lumps (and spending a large amount of money on tests and ultrasounds) and having it be nothing.

Comments

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Are you seeing an oncologist/hematologist instead of just a GP? Perhaps you should be. ENT would probably just give you antibiotics. A good oncologist is most likely to be able to determine what you are experiencing. Good luck. Not knowing is very frustrating. All my best wishes.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited August 2022 #3
    Options

Ponk,

I would not wait till January. The slow movement and lack of change in the original node do not suggest infection, but none of us here write with any medical authority. It is too many odd, related factors to just ignore. We don't spend money on medicine for when it is' nothing'; we spend the money to ensure that it in fact is nothing.

Also, you can get the full radiologist's and pathologist's reports of any testing that you have had done -- just call your doctor and demand it. Or you might have to request it from the lab that did the work.

• Ponkblossom
    Options

I am not. I’ve never had lymphoma so I haven’t seen an oncologist. I would assume I’d need a referral for that?

And thank you. Not knowing is extremely frustrating. I was fine with waiting until my next doctor’s appointment until these new larger lumps showed up (and they are right next to each other too). I’ve never had enlarged lymph nodes ever, so to have this many pop up and stay around for no distinguishable reason is just weird and annoying. And our insurance isn’t great so we pay a lot out of pocket for appointments and scans just to be told they’re not sure what it’s from but they’ll just be watching for any changes.

• Ponkblossom
    Options

Thank you for the input. I’ve never had swollen lymph nodes before ever, so it’s just weird to have them randomly popping up now and then staying enlarged (and having more than one in each “grouping” as well). And you’re right about spending money on medicine to ensure it’s nothing. I hate to be that person that’s calling over and over for the same “issue” (i used to work in a doctor’s office so that makes me more sensitive to that), but ensuring my wellbeing is more important.

• PBL
    PBL Member Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Hello Ponkblossom,

It is indeed tricky to balance worry about an ongoing anomaly with the cost of medical appointments and tests and the apparent nonchalance of medical professionals...

Now, as Max writes, none of us here holds a medical degree. However, if I read your account correctly, your complaint is essentially about persistent palpable or visible small lymph nodes in your neck over the past year.

Considering the duration of the whole thing, in the absence of any reported symptoms, and the negative results yielded by tests so far, I would assume - IF it were to be lymphoma - that it must be an indolent (meaning, slow-growing) type.

In that context, a periodic follow-up every few months seems adequate, and you indicate that your GP has set such a follow-up appointment for next January - so I would rule out that s/he is not paying sufficient attention to your complaint as it is.

Bear in mind that a semestrial-to-yearly follow-up appointment is standard of care for documented (diagnosed) indolent lymphomas.

In the meantime, as you mention not being able to determine if there is actual change in those nodes, I would suggest documenting that by taking a monthly photograph (same room, same time of day, same lighting) which you can show your GP in January - and in between those mug shots, leaving them be and refraining from poking and prodding them. Although - based on your account - they do not seem to represent any immediate danger, entertaining anxiety about them can make your life unnecessarily difficult.

Kind regards.

PBL