G tube question

Options
DjFriday
DjFriday Member Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Yesterday, I had the G tube placed in my stomach. The pain is tolerable today with the help of Tylenol. My question is about feeling like I need to burp but can't. Is that a normal symptom? I feel the pressure and I just can't burp to get it out. I also feel nauseous at times when I'm up moving around. Will this go away on its own or is there something to help with the feeling of air in the stomach?

Comments

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited August 2022 #2
    Options

Dj,

I don't remember the "burping" sensation. One crazy question is - does the pressure relieve, when you open the cap on the tube?

My guess is that your stomach is just not "familiar" with the temporary intrusion - and the sensations are a reaction to that. But, if it causes you a lot of discomfort or nausea, you should certainly be talking to your Caregivers.

How are you doing, other than that?

I feel for you ... starting treatment is a tough challenge; hang in there!

MG

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,292 Member
    Options

Hello DJ, hope you are doing well besides this.

When I had my first G-tube put in I was in the outpatient waiting for discharge area and I had pain in my stomach. I let the nurses know and they took me back in and put me on a table in a machine of some sort and did a scan to be sure it was in correctly and everything was OK. They verified all was well with the installation and my pain level had diminished so we headed for home. About halfway there I got some pretty bad pain again so we pulled over. But I decided to continue on and go home, not go back to outpatient.

I can't remember if I took any pain meds but the pain subsided over the next couple of days and was then gone. I think part of this is as MG says there is a foreign intrusion into your body and it could be a reaction of your body to that as protection till your system accepts it. Of course, if it persists contact your doctors and get their opinion and if they want you to have an office visit.

Possibly from the same concept of your body getting used to this new item in your body may be your stomach is reacting making gas or something but you can't burp it up for some reason. Try sitting down, reclined or otherwise and keep the tube raised up so nothing can run out, or you could be standing near your bathroom sink just as a precaution and open the cap on your Gtube for a bit to let any gas pressure or otherwise out. Could be an air pocket maybe. Just some knowledge with tubes on my part and a lot of amateur guessing, but worth a try. Also, you might try running a syringe of water through to flush it. I was instructed to flush mine once a day when I was not using it and when in use for food or meds flush it with a follow-up flush after putting in the food or meds.

I did find this on the internet from MyhealthAlbertaCa--

Is AG tube painful?

The tube can put liquid nutrition, fluid, and medicines directly into your stomach. The tube also may be used to drain liquid or air from the stomach. Your belly may feel sore, like you pulled a muscle, for several days. Your doctor will give you pain medicine for this.

I think this will soon let up for you but if not contact your doctor.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• DjFriday
    Options

I did try to vent the tube but couldn't tell any difference in the pressure. I do agree that it is most likely the fact that my stomach is having to adjust to something that it believes shouldn't be there. It has been just a little over 24 hours, so taking that into consideration, I will give it another 24 hours to see if it changes. The nauseous feeling has subsided some and that's a positive. My doctor doesn't want me changing the dressing or bathe until 48 hours have passed. Thank you everyone for sharing your personal story about the Peg tube. It helps to know that I'm not going thru this alone.

• DjFriday
    Options

I'm doing good for the most part. Some days I get a little overwhelmed but keep in mind that I can get thru this and I have everyone on this board to turn to if I need answers or just need a little reassurance.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Very good DJ I'm glad the nauseous feeling has subsided. It tells me things are going the right way. You have a bit to go yet for sure but this is one little hurdle you will get through and look back on it later and remember it was one of the steps in your treatment preparation that you had just a bit of an issue with, but you got through it. It's not unusual to feel overwhelmed through all this. Once it is determined you probably have cancer then they throw all kinds of stuff at you, biopsy, scans, ENT appointments, etc. I went through it too. But just keep track of things and do one thing at a time. I was blessed because at the cancer center where I was treated they had schedulers working in concert with the chemo and radiation docs and they would work out a treatment time each day that was what the patient wanted if there was an opening in that time slot and they made up a nice printout with all your rad and chemo appointments and I believe even your weekly follow up appointments with your doctors. I hope you have the same setup where you are it makes things so easy. Many on here have traveled the same path you are on and we made it and so will you. Some of this is going to be very challenging, to say the least, but, yes we will be here to give you answers and support. Sometimes just someone to talk to helps give comfort and assurance. You may want to check out the chatroom some time, it can be interesting with a variety of people and a variety of cancers they are all working on eradicating or already have. So forward you go and I hope any issues with this tube soon get resolved.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• DjFriday
    Options

Update on the G tube....the pressure has subsided to where I only feel it when laying down. I don't lay flat, i have been trying to sleep in recliner/ sofa. Neither are comfortable and with each day that passes, I'm hoping to get better rest. Still sore in the tube area, can't bend over to pick up from the ground. I use some long tongs to reach items. Haha. I did have an episode today where I tried flushing for the 1st time and noticed that it wasn't clear water, stuff was coming back up the tube. So, I became worried that it was clogged or in the wrong position. I called my Dr. but had to leave a voicemail. Waited 20 min and after no call back, went out to the ER. They flushed it a couple times and explained to me that I just needed to flush until the water was clear. No one had really told me the details of taking care of the tube. Like, I didn't know the water remains in the tube and to flush til clear. I felt foolish but the RN was very nice and helpful. All I was told after my surgery was to flush with water once a day and to keep the area clean and dry. I'm glad that now I know. Its all a learning process.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

DJ you are doing very well adapting to the changing situations you encounter. Sleeping differently, using long tongs to pick something up till the soreness goes away-very good. Someone on your care team should have explained it to you and given you a large syringe to use or several of them actually and they usually give you extra. And if you need more ask. Anyway just filling the large syringe with water by pulling the plunger back and sucking the water out of a cup would be good. Just put the whole syringe of water through your Gtube and that is your daily rinse. It won't be long till there is cloudy-looking fluid back in the tube, that's just the way it is your stomach contents work back into the tube enough to discolor it. I was instructed to rinse once a day like that when not using it. If you get to the point of depending on it for a while you will be rinsing it more. I could not swallow anything for several months or more and was getting my food, hydration, and meds through the tube. I was instructed to run a syringe of water through as a rinse after putting meds, or food through it. When in doubt rinse, it doesn't hurt anything. I think I had a 60cc large plastic syringes. They also told me to rotate the tube once a day, maybe half a turn. Your medical team should have explained how they wanted you to maintain and use your tube. You will get through this OK and you are doing well adapting as you go and it is good to seek a medical opinion as you did if you think something is not right because it is better to address a situation right away so you know. No need to feel foolish that's what those folks are there for and they are glad to help and keep you safe and well, and informed. If you are interested in more info just do a search on the internet about Gtube care, there is plenty of info. I don't know if your cancer team feels sure you are going to need the tube for sure but if you do you may need a pill crusher to grind pills to powder and mix with water. I have 2 myself and they both work great so I will post the 2 below with a link to peg tube care below.

Peg tube care--

MAXGRIND pill crusher--

Pug Pill Crusher--

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ