Any Recommendations?

jade9923
jade9923 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello, I am new here. My 34 year old niece just got diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with met to the liver. We live in Buffalo NY. She has her first appointment at Roswell Park Cancer Institute this Thursday. She will see surgeon Dr. Steven Nurkin. Any recommendations on a good oncologist at Roswell?

Thank you so much.

Comments

• gmtexas
    gmtexas Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi jade9923, I wish your niece well as she embarks on a journey filled, at least initially with fear and uncertainty. I joined CSN yesterday, thus, also new to this site, though not new to cancer. I am entering my 11th year as a Stage IV Colon Cancer survivor, mine too, on diagnosis in July 2012, with metastases in the liver, spread to lymph nodes outside the liver, and stomach lining. One Critical Success Factor for me, in managing late stage cancer as a chronic disease, is Multiple Opinions. It has served me well on numerous occasions. I have multiple examples though I do not want to babble. Two Nationally and internationally ranked institutions, albeit several hours drive from Buffalo are Sloan Kettering in NY City and Dana Farber in Boston. I am in Dallas, though solicit opinions from four organizations located in Houston, Baltimore, and Dallas. Except for my latest clinical trial, I have been able to receive all treatments in my hometown, as chemo regimens can be administered anywhere. For note, only one of my three major surgeries were outside Dallas, due to the specialized nature of the procedure. Jade 9923, a useful question for Dr Stephen Nurkin may be: What is his strategy for managing Stage IV colon cancer as a chronic disease. This has worked for me. Again, my best wishes to your young niece. Take care and best.

• jade9923
    jade9923 Member Posts: 2 Member

Thank you so much. Did you go in person to these centers or were they virtual visits?

• gmtexas
    gmtexas Member Posts: 13 Member

jade9923, if you are referring to organizations I mentioned that I use; I visit the 3 Centers in TX, personally, while the organization in Baltimore both in person and virtual. Referencing Sloan Kettering and Dana Farber, I quickly researched top cancer institutions that they were fairly close, geographically. I am personally familiar with Sloan Kettering, a world reknowned cancer center, as I sent my medical records in 2013. They advised they followed MD Anderson protocols, the organization I visit in Houston, so no need for me to include them on my list of multiple opinions. Finally, I also stay in contact and keep my 4 organizations involved, as it allows me to be included in innovative trials that may service within their realm of influence. I hope that helps. Take care and best.

• impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member

So sorry, 16 year stage 4 here. Click on my profile for info. I would always fight for surgery if that is an option....

All my best

Chip