Any others feel like they are learning a lot about nutrition?

Options
abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
edited December 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I don't always eat as I should, but I do feel like I spend a lot of time looking up the nutrition facts of various fruits and vegetables I like. My latest interest is the antioxidant found in high levels in blue, purple, and some red produce- Anthocyanins

I am now trying to get at least one serving of these a day. It really helps that I LOVE cherries and blackberries 🍒 🍇

Anyway, curious if others find they spend a lot of time looking at the nutritional value of their food.

I was very happy to see leeks had been found to have cancer fighting elements, because sauteed leeks are so delicious!

Comments

• Andres03
    Andres03 Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I am actually learning a lot. I have been trying to find the right diet for my mom, so she can enjoy food as well as eat healthily. I was ready that an alkaline base diet may have great benefits for cancer patients.

• abita
    Options

There is a recent study that plant based diet is good for cancer patients. I am a vegan, so already eat that way.

• Andres03
    Options

Nice. Yes, we are moving my mom to have a more plant base diet, and focusing her protein consumption more on fish.

• abita
    Options

I have not read much from reputable sites that alkaline diet is good for cancer patients, but I am no nutritionist. I just search for foods that help fight cancer, then check out those foods deeper and from reputable sites. Also, the integrative medicine where I get treatment gave me a list of recommended foods. You might see if her facility has that dept to get info from.

• Andres03
    Options

Thank you for the information. I will ask her department for some advice

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Black raspberries have the highest anthocyans I have read in several studies.

I use Berrihealth brand black raspberry extract or powder sometimes and put it in my tea.

Also, pomegranite and others are also very good.

• vivgrl
    vivgrl Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Going to the market tomorrow and just added cherries, blackberries, and leeks to my order. Thank you!

• gmtexas
    gmtexas Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Diet … one of my favorite topics and critical success factors. Greg Metry, new to CSN, entering my eleventh year, managing Stage IV Colon Cancer as a chronic disease. We have seen great strides these past several years regarding communicating the benefits of food consumption (diet) on the successful management of late stage colon cancer. The adage, ‘food is fuel,’ for colorectal cancer patients is OUT, replaced by a more practical analogy … ‘food is life’! My humble thought, food is information that tells the body just what to do. You may wish to review ‘Superfoods,’ as our bodies are less like machines and more like a ‘constellation of body, mind, and spirit.’ Diet played a significant role when I first experienced radical remission in 2012. My stage 4 colon cancer had metastasized in the liver, infected lymph nodes, and spread to the stomach lining. After just six chemotherapy sessions, my cancer was non-detectable. Diet … a critical success factor to managing late stage colorectal cancer as a chronic disease. Several good super food examples already given by other cancer survivors. I wish each of you well.

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I read labels constantly. Our diet is mostly keto like. We keep carbs low, try to eat clean, and avoid eating stuff that fuels cancer more than normal cells. There is a lot of debate and conflicting points of view about diet. The cancer center serves little sandwiches on white bread rolls, chips, sugary cookies. In my opinion it is all rocket fuel for cancer. Diet is a very personal choice.

Dan

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Yes, food is medicine too.

When I was going to the chemo center I would see little wicker bowls of candy at every turn. After Halloween, Lord Lord, all those bowls everywhere were filled over the top. Should have been my first red flag to RUN!!!!

And, while sitting in the chemo chair on the second floor, the nurses would come by with a smile to ask if you wanted a coke product, sweet tea, cookies, lil debbies, ect. They had absolutely nothing healthy. One day the nurse said something to me about chemo and the poor man 2 chairs down feeling so awful and coke was the remedy to settle his stomach. Just WOW

• PrudenceJ
    PrudenceJ Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hi all. I'm a caregiver to my mom who has been diagnosed with colorectal cancer that has invaded the bladder - stage 4. My mom doesn't eat any solids and has very little appetite so unfortunately I am stuck with either Ensure or sago porridge in the morning and a blend of bananas, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, soursop and beets with an "8 greens" tablet blended in. Is there anything else I should work on incorporating given I just have 2 shots a day to get it in. She is also severely affected by infection so no treatment for her yet. I'm literally feeding her to save her life. Please help!

• simmy20
    simmy20 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Hi @gmtexas would be great to hear/learn more of what food have stood you in great stead for all these years.. anything we may not already know?

I am currently supporting my father with stage 4 Bowel, liver mets. He appears to be responding very well to his chemo and immunotherapy after only 6 cycles, CEA has rapidly reduced but yet to have a scan. I put this down to good health, fitness and diet for a 75 year old man (pre cancer diagnosis).

Since diagnosis he has lived on eggs from my brothers hens, white fish, fruit, vegetables, potatoes and now he is able to eat more he does have vegan food substitutes and realistically his saturated fats have gone up with eating cheese and Cadburys (we’re from the UK) chocolate every now and then but we do try and keep that to a minimum! I’d like to think it’s helped but who knows, maybe it’s just luck of the draw as to if responses are good or not!?

i am amazed at how the hospital offer muffins, crisps, chocolates, salty packet soups for food options during treatment sessions - it’s not teaching good practise although much cheaper than ‘good’ food options I guess..

• simmy20
    Options

Hi there, how are things going? How’s your Mom?

Late response here but sounds like you’re on the right tracks and doing all you can to get some goodness in there - I know how difficult it can be..

Homemade smoothies are good or protein and calorie dense shakes, try to get one lower in fibre and see how they go - the higher calorie the better to try and keep some weight on. Maybe mashed potato with some grated cheese mixed in or Cornflakes with milk and chopped banana was always something my Dad found he could eat and still has this every morning with full fat natural yoghurt on also.

Wish you all the best xxx

• abita
    Options

I think the hospital tries to have food that people will eat because many on chemo have taste and appetite issues and this can impact their health if they were in need of calories to begin with. I don't think it is about trying to set an example, it is trying to have snacks patients will eat.

• simmy20
    Options

Totally, I understand and appreciate this, was more an observation really that most of what they supply doesn’t suit a bowel patient, sandwiches, crisps etc - they also have to work within their small budgets for all. They do have bananas so that’s a plus. I pack my Dad food to take, things he can eat and enjoys 👍🏼

• gmtexas
    gmtexas Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Good day Simmy20, Awesome regarding your father’s initial response. He is fortunate to have a champion supporting him. My wife, Lalisa, is mine. And you are correct … I believe your dad benefits from his prior exercise and health. I hope he continues to exercise through treatments (when able). My belief: we can impact our success through several factors, a big one, diet. Nice regimen your father has adopted (above). I believe it can be even more effective (if your dad currently eats white potatoes), using sweet potatoes, red or purple potatoes, which do not spike blood sugar as much as white potatoes (that’s a good thing). AND YES, my learning and experience, from one who ate more chocolate and sweets than most, ‘ADDED SUGAR’ does not help our cause, as it spikes our blood sugar, causing pancreas to secrete insulin which can feed abnormal cells (cancer is abnormal cells). Eliminating added sugar was a big adjustment for me (I review all ingredients), but the motivation was worthy. (Side note: hospitals serving less healthy snacks… they have their reasons; I simply choose to pass.)

My diet is a low saturated fat, no sugar added diet, focused on vegetables and lean meat. Lots of grilled/baked seafood, had Cornish hen early this week and I enjoy eggs for breakfast. Stir frys are wonderful and any breads or crackers … I try to us “sprouted” vs wheat or flour (whole grains are next best to sprouted (at least for me). I generally have raw, cut veggies on hand for snacks (including Jicama (instead of chips) for my homemade hummus and guacamole). Homade juices are great, with ginger, flaxseed, chia, gojie berries, kale, carrots, cucumbers, almond milk (unsweetened) with frozen almond milk ice cubes for frozen slush). AND TUMERIC … my ‘go to’! I really believe in the healing properties of curcumin, found in turmeric. I’ll mix turmeric with green tea leaves, and ground cloves for my homemade tea. I even have turmeric only tea but use olive oil or pepper to help absorption.  Simmy20, I’ve babbled enough for now. I’m always pleased to share what I believe are critical success factors in managing Stage IV colorectal cancer as a chronic disease. Please advise to follow-up questions. Your Father … in my thoughts and prayers.