Radiation Complete, still tired and not much appetite

Options
Truckincrazy1
Truckincrazy1 Member Posts: 95 Member
edited August 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I had a lumpectomy April 27, DC Triple negative, in situ, margins and lymph nodes clear. I am now 22 days post radiation. Everyone tells me to walk and get fresh air. I went out to dinner last night, top of thighs are sore. I cleaned kitchen, did dishes, took care of parrot and one load of laundry and feel like I got run over by a freight train and now I'm crying. I don't want to cry. I'm just tired of this lack of energy. Hungry but don't feel like eating. Just tired, and tired of being tired. Has this ever happened to anyone else and how do you cope with it.

Comments

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

It took me awhile to feel semi normal after radiation. I spent a lot of time on the couch napping. I was lucky that I am retired and did not have a lot of things on my must do " list. No parrot, but two kitties who still needed to be fed and cleaned up after. Only advice I can give you is to not push it. Your body is using it's energy to rebuild your immune system. Crying may be giving you some stress relief after treatment ended, might be the result of being tired or because you are just plain grateful that you made it thorough. Go ahead and have a good cry!

By the Way-congratulation on having an in situ diagnosis! Your have a very good chance of being around a long time and never having to go through this again.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options

I broke down and called the nurse, she said it was perfectly fine. I think that's what scared me the most that I didn't think this was normal and every one is telling me its over, get back into life. Thank you for your kind words.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    ExcellentTrouble321 Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

So sorry for what you are going through. I hope that your pain and things are improving since last week.

I've not started my radiation yet. I will meet my radiation oncologist next week.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options

not to scare you be prepared for the fatigue, some people sail through it, I'm here if you want to talk.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    ExcellentTrouble321 Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thanks so much. I'm still a bit tired from surgery (and the heat, lol). One Dr appointment and I need a nap in the afternoon.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I think fatigue is common after radiation. I remember being really tired. Hope your strength builds up soon. Try not to overdo. All the best.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options

It's getting frustrating. I'll have a really good day, I try not to over do it, and then it takes me two days to recover. Especially my thighs get sore. Any suggestions?

• loricelluzzi
    loricelluzzi Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Fatigue is common. I try

to walk at least 2 miles a day. Fortunate to have a treadmill since it’s been so hot outside. Don’t push yourself. Rest when your body is telling you. Congrats on making it through radiation. I have 2 more days and then onto an AI. Not looking forward to the med 😞 but hoping for the best. One day at a time.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options

Well I spoke to the RT nurse, this is not from fatigue from radiation, its from 4 months of inactivity. I will call family doctor and maybe I need some PT, cause what I am doing on my own isn't working, its to much and then I am worthless the next day. And by too much I mean house work, shopping everyday activities, time to consult an expert LOL. I am triple negative no hormones for me. Stay strong you got this!

• loricelluzzi
    loricelluzzi Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I find Accupuncture very helpful also for fatigue and depression/anxiety. I was also diagnosed with MS in 2004 and Accupuncture saved me with my MS symptoms. All the best to you! Always reach out and ask for help.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options

Thank you. I just think its time to ask my FNP and see what she recommends. Radiation providers do just that, radiation, surgeons do surgery, and I'm ok with that. I'm not helping my legs, so its time to consult someone that can help me. I greatly appreciate the support here. Wonder if Accupunture is covered by Medicaid, probably not, no new treatments or any non western medicine is not covered. I want to try Zero Balancing as well but local therapist is booked up.

• Truckincrazy1
    Options