Radiation is it painful?

Options
ExcellentTrouble321
ExcellentTrouble321 Member Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

My surgery is over. Next for me is radiation. I'm wondering if it's painful, how painful?

Does it leave you tired/worn out?

Ready & nervous for the next step. 😬

Comments

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Every person is different. I am a five year breast cancer survivor. I did not need chemo, just radiation, about a months worth at the time. I did not have ANY pain until next to the last treatment, and was not pain per se, but kind of scalded my breast the last two times, was too sensitive to put a shirt on for a couple of days. The things I experienced were being unstable emotionally from the radiation, which is a possible side effect. However, if you follow all their recommendations during treatment, that is more than half the battle. For me, five years ago, it was using the lotion following treatment to prevent dryness, eating plenty of proteins, and getting exercise every day. I did not get very tired, but experienced some tiredness long after it was over. Again, EVERY patient is different, though, so you may not have any issues. Also, I would advise NOT wearing deoderant for treatment, as they told me that was a myth, but I developed a bad rash and had to endure it throughout treatment, and was unable to wear deoderant for several weeks afterwards. Nothing to be nervous or afraid of, though. Try to relax, follow their instructions, and communicate well with your rad onc as to how you feel.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate hearing others' experiences.

• loricelluzzi
    loricelluzzi Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I’m 2 treatments away from being done. 20 total. Not too bad. Really no pain but very red. Lotion, lotion, lotion. After treatment, in the afternoon, and before bed. I found this extremely helpful. I also got a bit rashy and itcy. Would use cortisone cream first and then lotion. Helped. I’m also trying to walk at least 20-30 minutes each day. Helps ward off fatigue. Drink lots of water and cut back on sugars. All the best to you. You’ve got this.

• LucieBabette
    LucieBabette Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

The radiation treatments themselves aren’t painful, I felt nothing but eventually (I did 30 sessions) my skin burned and peeled, that was uncomfortable. I used Boiron calendula cream to moisturize and when the burns started, my radiation oncologist prescribed a burn cream which healed everything very quickly. I used sterile gauze pads to protect the vulnerable spots.

• deeb111
    deeb111 Member Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I got tired worn out but only hurt when my skin was starting to show burning

• Truckincrazy1
    Truckincrazy1 Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I am 6 weeks after radiation, 20 treatments. It is not painful, just make sure you use the lotion they give you correctly, I didn't and had some bad redness and peeling but once I got it right it healed up nicely. I dunno if it was radiation fog brain or just stress as to why I got confused about how to apply it.

Try not to be nervous, I know I was. I have anxiety as it is. To be honest it was a tough road for me. I live pretty much alone, (70 year old male roommate) I wanted or needed more emotional support then I think my family and friends realized. I felt isolated and alone. I was extremely tired after rads, I fell asleep when I got home whether I wanted to or not. I read posts, google and this group. Everyone is different. I'm 62 so maybe that has something to do with it. Right now, I am tired, I am finally having some good days. If you can try to walk and stay in shape then I would do it. I read some women raised children and went to work and it made me feel guilty. I tried to get out and walk but there were days when I felt like I was 80. I did go to the fair Saturday, my first real outing since March when I was diagnosed. I don't want to scare you, I do feel though you need honest answers. I wish I had been more prepared. I honestly don't know if anyone can be prepared for this journey. I know it helps me to share here in this group. I am struggling with sleep and leg pain from lack of exercise. I have a doctors appointment. It's time for me to consult doctors to help me through this last step, getting physically in shape and my mental status. I found a great oncology social worker that has helped me.

You got this. Hope to hear from you and will be here if you need it.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    Options

Thank you. My radiation is on hold for a few weeks, they want to wait for my swelling to go down first. I'm trying not not to be nervous. I met the Radiation Oncologist and he did tell me to try to push myself. He said that I will feel better in the short term, during radiation or shortly after if I try to push myself (exercise/stamina).

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I never experienced any pain or unusual tiredness. I did have some redness, but since radiation is essentially a burn, that's to be expected. It depends on how sensitive your skin is, I'm sure. I used Eucerin cream twice a day on the days I was not having treatment and like the other lady said, no deodorant. I drove myself to and from (a distance of 50 miles round trip and even felt like doing other things after treatment. It was not bad at all, and I hope this will be your experience. Prayers and best wishes! Sunny