Tooth Loss - Stage II Esophageal Cancer and Stage IV Lung

Options
kamoto
kamoto Member Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

I have stage IV lung cancer as the primary cancer which has metastasized to the brain, spine and ribs. I've been taking Tagrisso for this since July 1st, which has basically eliminated my rib and spine pain. Miracle drug. I know I will never be cured, and there is a high probability the cancer mutates from EGFR to something else making Tagrisso ineffective. This usually occurs within 18-36 months.

This is important, because I have Stage II esophageal cancer which was staged by Mayo Clinic in MN. So an operation is 100% out of the question. No surgeon would ever do it. Why? Cancer cells would be flooded by the body in response to the surgical trauma. Dormant cancer cells in say the liver could be signaled to begin their work. So the bodies response to surgery could be a massive increase in cancer in other parts of the body. So Mayo wants to do chemo/radiation which they have indicated can be done in conjunction with the Tagrisso. My concern is I've read on here that Esophageal radiation can destroy your teeth. Why would I do that, knowing I have another stage IV disease which will take me eventually. Anyone have a similar story and can provide insight into your Stage II chemo/radiation treatment for esophagus cancer?

Kind of stinks. If I just had the lung cancer, this Tagrisso drug is so pleasant that I could avoid nasty side effects of chemo. Targeted therapy is an amazing advance.