Xalkori/How long do I have to live?

CarlW
CarlW Member Posts: 3 Member
edited 3:59PM in Lung Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer about nine months ago. After one chemo treatment, my doctor said Xalkori (crizotinib) was the best treatment for me (250 mg. twice daily). A PET scan four months ago showed very promising results compared to my initial PET scan, but a PET scan a few days ago, after four more months on Xalkori, has me very worried. Apparently the tumor in my lung has grown and there are “a few newly developed areas of FDG uptake”. This is very discouraging and makes me think there is little hope. Am I right to be discouraged? I would appreciate any comments regarding Xalkori vs. Alectinib, and also any frank comments regarding how long I have to live. I realize this cannot be predicted with any accuracy, but having even a rough estimate would help me greatly in making decisions regarding what remains of my life. My doctor is upbeat and optimistic to a fault. I need a more realistic prediction.

Comments

• CarlW

I should have also mentioned that the cancer had metastasized to my vertebra and (I think) adrenal glands.

• CarlW

Wow, thanks for all your replies! What a big help the Cancer Survivors Network is.