New problem for me

Scottie22
Scottie22 Member Posts: 99 Member
edited August 2022 in Bladder Cancer #1

In 2013 I had my left kidney removed due to RCC. Have had check ups ever since all NED until this month. My ultrasound report returned with 1.2 cm x 0.9 echogenic nodule on right bladder. My follow up with urologist isn't until 8/5/22 and I am going nuts with worry. What are the chances a benign cyst or am i facing bladder cancer? 76 yo reasonably healthy female.

Comments

• barehead
    barehead Member Posts: 36 Member

A quick check of the literature found a 2022 study that stated "postoperative recurrence rate for non-metastatic RCC has been reported to be approximately 30%." That article focused on predictive biomarkers to determine possible recurrence. Link = https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8748223/#:~:text=Although%20the%20postoperative%20recurrence%20rate%20for%20nonmetastatic%20renal,30%25%2C%20there%20was%20no%20marker%20to%20predict%20recurrence.

So one way to deal with the anxiety that I found useful on my journey for bladder cancer was to scan the internet (this does not mean Facebook) to find solid sources and data with regard to your type of cancer. You can make this query of the Am. Cancer Society or attempt it yourself. It can help you understand the common stages, treatment types, and current research. It can also help you prepare good questions to ask your providers when you meet with them.

• Scottie22

Thank you, very good advice. I have managed to get an appointment with urologist tomorrow. Will be ready with questions, he is very approachable.

• Scottie22

OK so I had a cystoscopy and doctor said 'no cancer' he saw nothing. However a few minutes later he said he wanted a CT scan done after taking another look at the ultrasound. So confused as I thought I was clear. An abundance of caution maybe as I also have a small cyst on my single kidney?

• barehead
    barehead Member Posts: 36 Member

A cystoscopy provides a visual inspection only. A CT looks for thickening and other abnormalities in the abdominal area. A cysto and a CT are good diagnostic tools. Sounds like your provider is being thorough. BTW, go to bcan.org for tremendous info on urothelial cancer (which includes bladder cancer.)

• Scottie22

Got results from CT scan, all clear. No idea why US showed a mass but will ask doc on Friday at my appointment. Thank you Bare for your comments which were very helpful while I waited and worried.