really worried

Options
mdh423
mdh423 Member Posts: 1 *
edited July 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

HI I'm a 38 year old male i have type 1 diabetes i have been having pain swallowing off and on now with red meat for about 3 or 4 years now i got pain/discomfort behind behind breastbone cant hardly eat or drink loss of appetite went to er was put in hospital because of Diabetic ketoacidosis last week for a few days in ccu i told them how i felt but they didn't seem to care i also have tachycardia no known cause had tons of blood work at hospital been going alot said i was in good health so i am not sure what is going on? could i have esophageal cancer? what does the end stages of this cancer look like?

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

Most people who are ultimately diagnosed with esophageal cancer have trouble swallowing and often end up in the ER with food stuck in their esophagus that will no go down into their stomach. Given the symptoms you are having I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist and ask for an endoscopy with biopsies.

The medical profession tends to discount the potential of esophageal cancer in younger men but it does occur from time to time. On the other hand your symptoms are a bit non-specific and could be a number of things. Your diabetic issues being some of them.

Advanced esophageal cancer typically presents with tumor growth blocking the entire esophagus and patients being unable to swallow even liquids and enlarged lymph nodes in the upper chest area and groin.

I would not jump to an esophageal cancer conclusion without an endoscopy.