bladder issues as a symptom

Jules99
Jules99 Member Posts: 14 Member
edited August 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hi - I am just wondering if anyone who was diagnosed with uterine/endometrial cancer had any bladder issues early on (prior to treatment). I am having post menopausal bleeding, which I am having explored (ultrasound showed thickened endometrium and some type of mass).

However, back in March I had a routine urinalysis which showed raised white blood cell count and blood in urine. I did not have any UTI symptoms so doctor ignored it. Then in June, I had my first ever UTI. The urinalysis showed blood in urine. I took antibiotics which cleared up the symptoms. I requested a urinalysis when I saw a gynecologist about the bleeding last week. I do not have UTI symptoms, but it showed raised white and red blood cells, tissue in urine, and blood in urine.

I'm going to follow up with my primary care physician, but I wondered if anyone had similar experiences/results that ended up being related to uterine cancer?

Comments

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 489 Member

I know the routine urinalysis performed around the time of my diagnosis was abnormal, because shortly before I saw the gynecologist who performed my in-office biopsy, I saw a urologist. It's been 23 years since my diagnosis, so some of the details are getting a little fuzzy, but I do recall the urologist pronouncing my bladder to be "as clean as a whistle" after performing an in-office cystoscopy.

Unfortunately, the results from my uterine biopsy soon afterwards were not so stellar and found endometrial cancer. While only approximately 10% of postmenopausal bleeding is due to endometrial cancer, the only way to distinguish benign from malignant is through sampling of the tissue. A number of women here strongly recommend getting a D&C, because an endometrial biopsy, which only takes random tissue samples, can sometimes miss cancer. In my case, both my pap test and the endometrial biopsy found cancer cells, but I am aware that is not always the case.

I wish you all the best in getting to the bottom of things!

• Jules99

Thought I had already replied, but just noticed that I hadn’t. Thank you very much for your response!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

Due to having brachytherapy, I developed a tumor around my left ureter. Eventually, they ended up putting in a stent. I had to go every three months to have it replaced. I did that for over a year. I was getting tired of every 3 months having to have blood work & x-rays and then surgery (to replace stent). I eventually had a ureter by-pass surgery done in December 2015. I am still having some issues with my bladder as I have incontinence. Most of my urine tests usually shows trace or some blood in my urine. Several years ago I had two UTI back to back and both were different bacteria!

• Jules99

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that you are having to go through all that. I'm having a cystoscopy this week to check things out.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member

I didn't have UTIs prior to diagnosis (except one following my hysteroscopy), but I definitely had a lot of frequency and leakage, that resolved after surgery. I didn't make the connection until afterward.

• Jules99

Interesting. I’m glad those symptoms resolved, at least - but sorry for the reason behind them.