Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Unknown Primary

Khanick
Khanick Member Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2022 in Rare and Other Cancers #1

In November of 2021, I had a biopsy of a swollen lymphnode in my Left Supraclavicular ordered by Ear/Nose/Throat Doctor at UF Shands FL . This is basically where your neck & collarbone meet. 3 samples confirmed that it was cancer. Next was a CT Scan & PET Scan. The PET scan indicated not only evidence of fast growing cells illuminated in my Left neck lymph node, there were also illuminated lymph nodes in my Right Iliac Region. I was then referred to Oncologist after the ENT Doctor scoped my nose & throat and determined there was nothing unusual found there.

Oncologist discussed that there was no primary identified as I also had a cervical/uterine biopsy done with no abnormal cells present. He then discussed that the Right Iliac lymph nodes were most likely where the cancer showed up first, then traveled to my left supraclavicular area. He also mentioned that "normally" when it travels the cancer would usually appear in the lungs. I am fortunate it had not.

Treatment consisted of 6 cycles of chemotherapy along with Immunotherapy every 3 weeks. My day of Chemo & Immuno were very long days of 9 hours. I would watch other patients come & go as we were at the infusion center from 7:30 to 5pm. This took place from January to mid April. (side note: Immunotherapy was added to my Chemotherapy regimen since I tested positive on the PDL1, which from my understanding means you have cancer cells that start to imitate good cells :( )

I did pretty well considering my cocktail of 2 chemos & 2 Immunotherapies. I have been left with some neuropathy issues with my feet / calfs. Intermittent weakness & heal pain/tingling/numbness.

I am currently on Immunotherapy sessions every 3 weeks which includes Keytruda & Mvasi.

2 CT scans have shown Right Iliac lymphnodes had decreased, and my Left Supraclavicular Lymphnode is non palpable (no evidence it's there).

It was discussed with my Oncologist that the Immunotherapy will continue for now as they want to prevent the Metastatic Cancer from spreading to new areas. We are happy with the results so far.

Reason for my post is to possibly help or reach someone else who may have same cancer situation, as well share my story and share my experience of what I determine to be a positive health experience being a patient of UF Shands in Florida. In case someone my want to further their care where I have been cared for.

Sincere Regards to all of you & your supporters in Surviving Cancer.