Switching tube feeds

Options
feklara
feklara Member Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, currently in hospital. I am about to be released from hospital to go home for two weeks before starting chemo/radiation.

I have gotten a G tube, currently on Pivot 1.5. They are switching me to Jevity 1.5 to go home unless I can’t tolerate it.

Anyone know why they would switch formulas just because I am going home? I seem to handle the Pivot well. What kind of nastiness should I expect/watch out for?

Thanks to you all just for being here!

-Fek

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited July 2022 #2
    Options

Have been taking Jevity 1.5 for a couple weeks shy of 3 years: daily diet of 4 Jevities and 1 Boost VHC for 1950 calories. Have been times I've done 4-1/2 Jevities, or 5- to gain weight.

Nothing negative with the Jevity. Your so-called regularity will be good.

I have never heard of Pivot. Know Jevity is good because of the amount of fiber.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Fek, welcome to the H&N forum the place no one really wants to be, but a good place to be nonetheless. I am sorry you are going through your situation and in the hospital. I am glad you are going to be released soon though.

I have looked at the 2 feeding liquids up you mentioned and can't find a comparison but looking them up separately gives me more info as to why you might be on Pivot 1.5. It probably has to do with why you are in the hospital possibly. Are you in for surgery? It would help us to help you if you could give us a little story on your situation such as what cancer you have and the location, type, staging, and treatment received and planned. How you found out you had cancer, etc. Thank you.

The difference between Pivot and Jevity it seems to me is that it has to do with healing and trauma and helping heal as I read the description as compared to Jevity which is just a feeding and nutrition formula. They are both made by the same company Abbott I am posting it below--

Pivot® 1.5 Cal

Peptide-based, high protein, therapeutic nutrition for metabolic stress

PIVOT 1.5 CAL is peptide-based complete, balanced therapeutic nutrition for short- or long-term tube feeding for metabolically stressed surgical, trauma, burn, or head and neck cancer patients who could benefit from an immune-modulating enteral formula. For tube feeding. For sole-source or supplemental nutrition. Use under medical supervision.

Here are links to it--https://abbottnutrition.com/pivot-1_5-cal

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-abbott-pivot-15-cal-therapeutic-peptide-based-very-high-protein-nutrition-for-metabolic-stress.html

Jevity® 1.5 Cal

Complete, Balanced Nutrition® with Fiber

JEVITY 1.5 CAL is calorically dense, fiber-fortified therapeutic nutrition that provides complete, balanced nutrition for long- or short-term tube feeding. For tube feeding. For supplemental or sole-source nutrition. May be used for oral feeding of patients with altered taste perception. Use under medical supervision.

Link for Jevity https://abbottnutrition.com/jevity-1_5-cal

Also, you are around nurses and doctors right there in the hospital, just ask them they can tell you. The info I posted and ideas on healing may be wrong but that's what I get out of it. So you are switching from a formula to assist in healing to a general feeding formula to sustain you.

Also, you can count on Logan's advice he has plenty of first-hand experience.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ