PSA Increase?

Options
Tico14
Tico14 Member Posts: 36 Member
edited July 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

PSA virtually undetectable for years. Should it metastasize to the bone would the first indication be an appearance of PSA or Dx by some other means? Thanks.

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Hi,

From what I understand an increase of your PSA would be an indicator of possible metastatic Prostate cancer. An increase of PSA could also indicate Benign prostate hyperplasia, your doctor would prescribe further testing to get a diagnosis. Radioactive bone scan imaging could also used to detect cancer that has spread to you bones.

Dave 3+4

• Tico14
    Options

Could a PSA remain “virtually undetectable” in a case where the PCa had metastasized to the bone?

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options

Tico,

How was your PCa treated ? I am assuming via proctectomy. IF it were via RT, then some PSA should have shown since treatment. Why are you worried about bone metastasis ? Have you had PSA results that have risen ?

Bone metastasis is most commonly a serious, advanced condition, with PSA levels highly elevated. I doubt that any man could have verified bone metastasis and show undetectable PSA -- it would make no or little sense. But this is a generality.

• Tico14
    Options

Whew! OCD is my biggest problem. Thanks for your response. I kinda’ thought that but every little pain, hiccup, or cough drives me nuts any more.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

As the others have written, metastasis will result in a significant increase in PSA. In all likelihood, that would be the first sign that something was amiss.