Prostrate Treatment effects

Options
Bellaboo4
Bellaboo4 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

I had a Brachy Therapy in 2006 performed by a team at the Sunninghill Hospital in Sandton Johannesburg. In 2006. In 2020 my prostate specific antigen reading was 18.1. My GP found this on a routine examination. Sending straight to my Urologist. He said it was necessary to have an Eligard 45 injection to stop and cells forming in the surrounding tissue. There was a need to lower my testosterone. I took the 6 month course. My PSA dropped to 0.02 and it has stayed there but the hot flashes which kicked in 2 months later remain today, 18 months later. I have not checked my PSA since then to see if the need for another injection was necessary. I certainly cannot afford it in any case. Should I check my PSA? My testosterone level seems to be slowly increasing by the signs of it as I am now feeling my Libido has increased and I m 80 years old. These hot flashes continue especially when exerting myself at exercise. Why? How long do they continue? Haven't the faintest clue.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

As we get older, it takes longer for the testosterone (T) to come back to an age-appropriate level and for some T will stay low essentially forever. But you reported that your libido is increasing. I would just be happy with that and live with the occasional hot flash. I would also be happy if my PSA stayed that low without further hormone treatment (Eligard).

I definitely recommend getting your PSA tested at least twice a year (or quarterly).

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Hi,

I did not read what your biopsy results were during your initial investigation, Gleason score? If it was me I would want my Urologist to again test my PSA to see if there could be something going on in the form of tumor growth. If your PSA over a period of a few tests(months-years) is increasing then further diagnostic scan could be warranted to see if your cancer has returned. If your PSA tests are steady or decreasing then there is not much to worry about unless the reading are high. The hot flashes during exercise could be just that, exerting yourself and your body heats up and sweats. I know at 70 yrs. old I don’t have the same endurance as I did back in my 50s, and yes I sweat more. Could be just a sign of general aging. To me the main goal is to make sure your cancer has not returned and the most non invasive way is with PSA testing.

Dave 3+4

• J69
    J69 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Bela, welcome. I can only help with the hot flashes. I am currently on 1 pill a day of Orgovyx. The hot flashes started a couple of weeks after starting the hormone treatment. I am now in my 8th month out of 18 months total treatments. I have learned the following. Take lukewarm to cooler showers. Keep a cool or cold cloth near when you workout to rub on you face, neck and arms if you feel a hot flash starting. Have a ice drink nearby all day and keep hydrated. Sleep as cool as you can tolerate. Also, not quite as well known, spicy foods can trigger a hot flash as well. As you can see, the trick is to not get hot to begin with. My wife is also on hormone treatment for breast cancer and has almost eliminated hot flashes following the above suggestions. The hope is that your hot flashes at some point will diminish or go away completely. As others have suggested, keep up the PSA test just to keep track of hopefully further great results. Also, if ever needed again, I only pay $40 a month for one pill a day of Orgovyx. It is also very expensive, over $2,000/month, but Medicare reduces the cost for me. It is a newer treatment and does keep the PSA in check. I am a Gleason 8 and had radiation only. Welcome Again.