Efficiency of reduced CAPOX scheme

STI_1911
STI_1911 Member Posts: 21 Member
edited July 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi all,

i was diagnosed for an adenocarcinoma last year September, followed by surgery early October. Chemo started in November following the CAPOX scheme. After second infusion of Oxaliplatin i was left with paralyzed face and hands, so the onco decided to stop Oxaliplatin and go for a 6 month capecitabine (Xeloda) mono therapy. After the 4th cycle the drug had to be reduced to 80% of the initial dose.

My tumor was located between sigmoidum and rectum with 2 lymphnode affected out of 23 that were taken. It was a T3N1b staging with G2 grading. It could be removed completely with the usual safety margins even exceeded.

The onco said my chances for a permanent cure in my specific case are about 80%, which is good news and made me very happy back then.

But now after all the treatment, it turns out that my CEA level is slowly rising again from 2 after surgery to 4 after 9 month. still below the limit but rising.

Now i am thinking back again about the chemo. Was it efficient enough to do the job?

Any one else around who has some experience with incomplete or reduced chemo?

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

I did one oxi infusion and discontinued it. I took about a 50% dosage of capecitabine (it was all I could tolerate) and so far have survived 5+ years. You might want to look at research about things like vitamin d levels and nutritional strategies to reduce the chance of recurrence. CEA levels were never a good indicator for me, so I cannot comment on them, but there are numerous posts on this site about the issue. Best of luck to you.

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member

My CEA goes up and down. Been high as 17 before it went down to normal. CEA is not an indicator by itself (assuming not really high and on a steady long climb). You sound fine.

Stay healthy as you can and live your life.

• STI_1911

@SandiaBuddy Thanks for that . I definitely changed my food pattern. Much less meat, more vegetables and fruits. Alkohol very rarely. No more chokolate bars. But i can't stay away from ice cream especially in summer time. But i am not taking that much additional supplements, only fish oil, linseed oil, vitamin D. I am thinking of adding ellagic acid in pills 'cause i am not sure if the dose in fruits is even high enough.

@Capox Dude Thanks for your encouraging words. Did your CEA level go down by itself or did you do something about it?

• STI_1911

........... needless to say that i go to the gym at least 3 times a week for cardio and muscle training. This is what i also did during chemo as much as i was able to and it helped me a lot trough this hard time, physcally and also mentally.

• Chris2328
    Chris2328 Member Posts: 19 Member

Hi,

I am on a reduced dose of Folfox, because I was tested for a DPD deficiency and was found to be positive for an intermediate deficiency. If you have not been tested for this deficiency, I recommend that you speak to your doctor.

There are lots of articles on this condition, which can have heinous side effects when taking 5FU chemo therapy. The good news is that lower doses of this chemo drug are just as effective on people with the deficiency.

Best to you!

• STI_1911

Hi Chris,

Yes, i was tested for DPD before the treatment started. But in my case it turned out to be good enough to apply the full dose. But i believe the Oxaliplatin has destroyed so much that i wasn't able to take the full load of Xeloda. Who knows...

But thanks for the hint.

• Chris2328

I am glad to hear you were tested. My test results indicated that I was an intermediate metabolizer, but did not indicate exact levels. The recommended dose was 25 - 50%. My doctor wanted to start at 75%, I was thinking 25%, so we settled on 50%.

Can you elaborate on what the Oxaliplatin did to you? My doctor said that he was willing to end that part of the regimen if the side effects became too much. I have only had one dose of it so far, with some tingling in my extremities, and some cold sensitivity. I have mild nausea and pretty deep fatigue, but that could be from the 5FU.

If you are willing to discuss your experience , I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Chris

• Chris2328

Oh, I just saw that you discussed your side effects. I did not read up the chain on this post. :)