Another new guy

Options
denoon
denoon Member Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Just found your website and am glad I did. After a CT scan last Saturday it has shown that I I have a large solid mass in my left kidney (5.3x3.9x5.5 cm} .Also a thrombus in left renal vein branch. Also some issues with the bladder . On 7/11 I will have the left kidney removed and a ureteroscopy hopefully done robot assisted. Due to previous procedures I am hoping the scar tissue will allow this to be done this way. Just wondering what the recovery will be like from past experience. I know that if they use the knife things will be different. I am hopping that it remains contained and has not spread. I'm a 78 year old male and have lost over 30 lbs in the last 3 months. Getting very weak.

Comments

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Hi Denton. I can’t really comment on recovery from a full nephrectomy as I had a partial for a very small lesion. I just wanted to wish you the best for July 11th.

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Hi Denton

I had my left kidney removed via robot assisted radical nephrectomy. Like any abdominal surgery, it takes some time to recover. Lots of people on here have given great advice for recovery like walk as much as possible. The faster you get walking, the quicker your recovery will be. Bring a pillow for the ride home (to put between your side and the seatbelt) as pressure will be uncomfortable. Personally, I found sleeping to be tough and I can't sleep in a recliner. For me, I found that a body pillow made all the difference in sleeping comfortably (it took several weeks before I could lay on my side without a pillow). Mostly, as with any surgery, rest, drink lots of fluids and listen to your body...rest when you need it and walk as much as you can when you fell well enough. Good luck and I am praying you have a quick recovery!